Sony Rules Out PS Vita Price Cut in 2012, Shoots for Next Year Instead

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,935
Points 1,118,455
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Aug 16 2012 4:25 PM
If the only thing preventing you from purchasing a PS Vita is the price, Sony has some bad news. There will not be any price cuts in 2012. However, Sony did say that its engineers are working on certain cost reduction measures that will allow it to slash the price in 2013.

"People like cheap or free," Sony boss Shuhei Yoshida said at Gamescon. "Of course, cost reduction is one area our engineering team is working on. But we just launched the platform earlier this year. It takes time to do so."

Sony PS Vita

In lieu of a price cut in 2012, Yoshida said he's hoping to increase the PS Vita's value proposition by "creating different types of bundles," such as the LittleBigPlanet PS Vita bundle pack. He also wants to address what he feels is a perception that there aren't enough games for the handheld console, and said that adding new games and content is Sony's "number one priority."
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 4:45 PM

I can't see the PS Vita ever being a smash success, no matter the price point. Handheld gaming is a completely different market to console gaming and the offerings of the PS Vita (and of course PSP before it) were effectively the same level of power as a previous generation console - that's awesome if you're a graphics buff or technophile like myself (or others on this forum), but for the general population that's not what's important.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 307
Points 2,685
JDiaz replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 8:28 PM

Well, the PS Vita is just about rivaling the PS3 and the next gen console for Sony is over a year away. So their main issue is just building up a good collection of games right now.

I agree though the market is different and in this economy people aren't as willing to splurge for another gaming device when they already have the console, PC's, and their mobile devices.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515
pwrntspd replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 9:43 PM

Pwrntspd officially rules out PS Vita purchase for 2012, Shoots for next year instead...

Seriously though, the Vita is a great handheld but it needs to be a worthy tablet replacement because that is its target audience (albeit more gamer friendly). I really am rooting for sony though as i have wonderful memories of the original gameboy and i am looking for a "tablet like" device in the near future. I will say that the bundles in october look shiny...especially the one that comes with assassins creed. Good luck Sony!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Once you cut the price most of the time it means that there will be another hardware thats gonna be out in months to come

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 6:15 AM

I think hand held consoles are going to be dead in a few years. I just don't see a point in buying something with less function then a smart phone and is more difficult to carry around for the same the same price as some smartphones. The graphics and games might be better, but all the games i play on my smartphone are free and i dont need to shell out 10-30 dollars.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 307
Points 2,685
JDiaz replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 5:04 PM

Not all the games on Smart Phones are free, and not everyone thinks getting bombarded with ads and in app purchases is a good compromise to just paying for the game.

While hand held consoles may just merge with Smart Phones. So we'll see how it developers...

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS