Leaked: RadioShack Getting Into the Wireless Carrier Game

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,699
Points 1,207,655
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Aug 14 2012 12:03 PM
The last time we were in a RadioShack, we were looking for a Piezo element and were told that our local store no longer carries them, which begged the question of what RadioShack is still around for if it doesn’t even carry hobby electronics anymore. The answer is that it appears as though Radioshack fancies itself a wireless carrier.

Becoming an MVNO seems like the fashionable thing to do if you’re an electronics retailer facing the harsh realities of the evolving electronics and computer marketplace. According to an anonymous tip sent to Engadget, RadioShack is going to use Cricket Wireless’ network to launch RadioShack Mobile, which will feature the HTC One V (featuring Android 4.0, HTC Sense 4, and Beats Audio) and a no contract, pay-as-you-go plan.

RadioShack Mobile Leaked

The tipster also indicated that RadioShack Mobile could also feature other phones in Cricket’s lineup, including devices from Huawei and Alcatel.

There’s no word on pricing, but we imagine the cost for an MVNO based on a budget carrier’s network will be pretty low compared to other options. Who knows, perhaps RadioShack will become the Little Ceasar’s of the wireless carrier market.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 3:49 PM

Well it certainly will be the underdog. If they bring coverage to my area I'm not going to get pulled towards them unless they offer killer deals. Most likely new customers would have to deal with problems inexperienced carriers first face.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Thats always a deal with new ventures, they tend to have issues. Unless they offer better phone services and packages. It will be hard for them to pursuade customers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 9:39 PM

I worked for Tandy years ago in a Computer City store prior to the same being sold to CompUSA I am really pretty surprised there still around at all.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS