HTC Promises Truck Full of Ice Cream Sandwich Updates by End of August

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,826
Points 1,168,145
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Aug 12 2012 11:16 AM
Forget about Jelly Bean (Android 4.1.x), many Android handset owners would be happy if they could just unwrap Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.x) already. If you happen to own an HTC device that was previously promised an ICS upgrade, hang tight, your Android update is coming within the next couple of weeks, the handset maker promised via Facebook.

Users have been pinging HTC with ICS questions about their specific handset models, including the Desire S and Thunderbolt. In both cases, HTC confirmed that upgrades are forthcoming, as well as those for all announced products.

HTC Thunderbolt
HTC is planning to update its Thunderbolt and several other devices to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich by the end of August.

"Yes, the Thunderbolt is still set to receive ICS. We're still planning to finish updates for all announced devices by the end of August. Thanks for remaining so patient!," HTC stated on Facebook.

HTC's full list includes some handsets that were promised ICS upgrades prior to August, like the HTC Rhyme, and we assume the company's Facebook statement means those are still en route. There are also some notable exceptions, and in general, devices with 512MB ROM or less won't see an ICS update, HTC previously stated. These include the HTC ChaCha, Wildfire S, Explorer, Desire HD, and others.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 11:30 AM

This of course was expected the happen. HTC won't bust their own chops just to get ICS out to customers who only have an old phone from them. I didn't I think it would've taken almost a year though(10 months).

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
RHosner replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 2:28 PM

Whatever. By the time I get this update, I'll be standing in line to buy an iPhone 5. This update should have rolled out ages ago.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 3:43 PM

RHosner:

Whatever. By the time I get this update, I'll be standing in line to buy an iPhone 5. This update should have rolled out ages ago.

I personally couldn't bring myself to do this. I see the new launches of the iPhones and every time I think "dang, that looks really nice.. " but then a couple of months later, the iPhone has been 1upped, and then the 1upper gets 1upped, and so on and so forth. Granted, later on the iPhone 5S (I assume will be the next one) will 1up THAT, etc etc, endless cycle, I'd just rather have an open platform with limitless possibilities than a controlled and restrictive environment like iOS.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 4:53 PM

If you find a quality phone such as the one you have described, please be sure to let me know.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

devices with 512MB ROM or less won't see an ICS update, HTC previously stated. These include the HTC ChaCha, Wildfire S, Explorer, Desire HD, and others.

Uhhh i think you are wrong informed because the Desire S does get the update and that's a 512MB ROM

Its just a shitty story by HTC

look here

One V : 1 GHz CPU , 512 MB Ram >> with ICS 4.0

Desire C : 600 MHz CPU , 512 MB Ram >> with ICS 4.0

Desire S : 1 GHz CPU , 768 MB Ram , 1.1 GB ROM >> upgradable to ICS 4.0

Incredible S : 1 GHz CPU , 768 MB Ram , 1.1 GB ROM >> upgradable to ICS 4.0

: Now

Desire HD : 1 GHz CPU , 768 MB Ram , 1.5 GB ROM >> not upgradable to to ICS 4.0

best run with 2.3.5 &

Really Thx HTC for this nonsense

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
daedric replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 7:54 PM

And the Desire HD as 1.5GB ROM. So...

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
DBo replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 9:04 PM

And the Desire HD has 768 MB RAM. So ....

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Upgade sure is good but in couple of months there will be another one which your phone cant have or not willing to get. Lol.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
h4rr33 replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 2:53 PM

"HTC tablets, including the HTC Flyer, HTC EVO View 4G, and HTC Jetstream, will remain on their current Android version (Honeycomb)."

Yes because Honeycomb is soo stable. LOL this with all app dev moving towards 4.x, while mostly still supporting 2.x. Lets face it 3.x is abandoned, skipped from even being considered, 4.x does tablet and more.

So wtf HTC? You suck. I got Evo View and the Jetstream. They cost a heck a lot more than cheap old acer tablets that *all* already received ICS a long time ago.

Never again, HTC. _|_

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS