Multi Discipline Server

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 30
SToth Posted: Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:05 PM

Well these forums have a wealth of information which I really appreciate. However, I would like to seek your advice on my server motherboard problem. 

I am building a new rig based on a Cosrsiar 800D case.  I know I want to use an i7 2011 processor and that it will have 10 hd's and be water cooled. 

My problem is that I want it to be a general web-hosting server capable of streaming games and other media.  This means from a client perspective it must be big and super fast.  It will eventually run on at least a T1 connection that will be upgraded as demand requires.

I have looked at the MSI BIG BANG X power II - LGA20011 Socket -79 motherboard and the Gigabyte Assassin whcih both are great gaming motherboards.  However, I want to build a high spec, future proofed gaming capable internet server and am concerned that these boards wont be suitable or even man enough to cope with the customer demands.

I did see some very high spec server motherboards that can hold upto 516 gig of DDR3 memory and are RAID enabled which would be great as far as that goes but like everything in life they have down sides as well as upsides when it comes to gaming.

I am not so concerned about the price and am prepared to pay around £550 ($950) for the right board.  

I really must get this purchase right as it will be the heart of the system which if successful will be repeated on other servers. 

Would you guys put your heads together and help me out in making this purchase decision. 

Thanks in advance for your time and efforts. 

Steve

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:31 PM

I would love to help you out, but I'm one of those that only catches up on motherboards once every few years; I'm more of a software guy.  I'll be Dave, Realneil, or one of the other regulars here will give you good advice though.  That sounds like one hell of a sweet server you're building.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS