Facebook Fights Phishing with Crowdsourcing Effort

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,085
Points 1,183,190
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Aug 11 2012 5:40 PM
One of the worst possible things that could happen to Facebook would be if it became overrun with phishing scams. Users would start jumping ship in droves. Of course, Facebook users are certainly no strangers to phishing--they’ve seen everything from fake screens asking for your login credentials to baited “Hey bro, i’m in london and need money, can u help me out?” messages--but the busy bees running the social network have done a rather remarkable job of fending off too much of the stuff.

Classic Facebook phishing: A fake page for stealing login credentials where anything the user enter will redirect to the page they're trying to reach (Image credit: webroot)

Facebook is taking another step in the war on phishing by asking users who spot an offense to send a message to phish@fb.com. The hope is that by asking alert users to essentially call the Facebook cops and report any untoward activity so the eCrime team (yeah, that’s really what it’s called) can investigate and track down offenders.

In a post announcing the new reporting system, Facebook also noted that any users who believe their accounts have been compromised can visit www.facebook.com/hacked for assistance.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 10:03 AM

>> One of the worst possible things that could happen to Facebook would be if it became overrun with phishing scams. Users would start jumping ship in droves.

There you have it folks. Your mission is to post one phishing scam each, and end this thing.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,260
Manduh replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 11:18 AM

LOL 3vi1. Admittedly, I'd be lost without Crackbook. I'm one of those people who don't like to socialize in the real world, FB makes it easy for me to stay in touch and/or stalk people I don't want to actually call, see or be stuck in the same room with for long periods of time :P

I think this is a great idea, hopefully by sharing this article people will start reporting because I see a ton of phishing on Facebook. Especially when it comes to contesting (which I have slowly stopped doing). I feel bad for anyone new to the contesting world because they are the ones who most often fall for these scams of info gathering.

PCAudioLabs Rok Box MC 7xs - Intel Core i7-2600K - Cooling: PCAL Quiet Operation - Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard - 16GB DDR3-1333 - AMD Radeon HD 5450 - Power Supply: 600 Watts - SRT Drive: Intel 311 SSD (20GB) - Primary Drive: 500GB, 7200RPM, 16MB cache - Audio Drive: 1TB, 7200RPM, 32MB cache - Sample Drive: 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB cache - OS: Windows 7 Professional x64

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 11:23 AM

When ever I come across one of those phishing web pages, I like to leave a little message for the phishers in the username and password boxes.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 3:41 PM

InsideSin:

When ever I come across one of those phishing web pages, I like to leave a little message for the phishers in the username and password boxes.

I do the same thing, haha.

It's good that Facebook is engaging the community on this; there's only so much that you can do to prevent phishing, and having the users of the platform also take an active role is a positive thing.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Me too. Its good that facebook is doing something about it. But theres only so much one can do.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 8:18 AM

Never gotten one of these emails or scam messages but getting help from the collective masses is a good idea. Probably just as unlikely to stop anything as the war on drugs.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45

I think a good sql injection would be appropriate. ;D

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS