Original Mac Ad from 1983 Never Aired, Viewable Online 29 Years Later

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,383
Points 1,192,305
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Aug 11 2012 12:33 PM
Here's one for anybody feeling nostalgic this weekend. An unaired commercial for Apple's original Macintosh from way back in 1983 has landed on YouTube courtesy of Andy Hertzfeld, currently a Google software engineer who co-created the Mac nearly three decades ago.

The ad features snippets of interviews from the design team talking up the Mac and why they built it. According to Hertzfeld, the reason it never aired is because "Apple deemed it too self-congratulatory" (yes, we spewed coffee all over our monitor and keyboard as well). The ad was, however, sent to some dealers as part of a promotional package.

One interesting tidbit that stands out from the ad is a Nostradamus-like prediction from Mike Murray, then the Marketing Manager for the Macintosh, who stated, "I think what you're going to see is that the balance of power is going to shift, the balance of power from companies running people to hopefully people running companies." That's something we're starting to see in this age of the Internet, and though it's not necessarily due to the Mac platform or Apple in general, it's an interesting forecast that somewhat accurately predicts where technology has taken us.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 12:44 PM

How much have they strayed? Affordable? That gave me a good laugh.

"You Either Die a Hero, or Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become the Villain"

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515
pwrntspd replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 3:13 PM

@Inside Sin

Yeah the part about being 1/4 the cost of other computers...haha...

I will say though that alot of the principles have been maintained today. They still strive for the computer you will never have any issues with...although it might never be repairable either.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:04 PM

I was a huge Commodore fan back when the Mac was released, but Andy and Burrell have been heros to me ever since I first heard about what they went through while creating the Mac. It's probably one of the reasons I've disliked Steve Jobs so much too.

If you're nostalgic, go read folklore.org (http://www.folklore.org/ProjectView.py?name=Macintosh&characters=Andy%20Hertzfeld) sometime. Andy's stories of that whole process are remarkable and the stories are full of super-interesting insights.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,688
Points 104,345
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 9:28 AM

Thanks for the link 3vi1. I'll be reading here for a while.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 10:16 AM

No problem. Do read it! When I stumbled upon it years ago, I read two or three of the articles and was instantly hooked.... spent the rest of the day reading the entire thing and sent Andy a note thanking him for the stories. It's fascinating.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,688
Points 104,345
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 11:19 AM

I've read one already, but have to go to  Dukefest now.

My wife is a high school teacher in Cooter's hometown and local teachers and their families get in for free.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS