Eurocom's Scorpius 17.3" Laptop Packs So, So Much Power

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,190
Points 1,186,185
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Aug 11 2012 10:21 AM
You don't name a laptop "Scorpius" unless you're serious about its capabilities. Eurocom is no stranger to revealing beastly laptops, and its latest is no exception to the rule. The new Scorpius offers dual graphics tech from NVIDIA GeFore, Quadro and AMD Radeon, a Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition, up to 32 GB of DDR3 1600 memory and three storage drives plus one mSATA drive.

That's right: you can order this machine with dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M GPUs featuring 1688 CUDA cores,  and 8GB of DDR5 video memory. If you're a creative pro, you can opt for the NVIDIA Quadro K5000M, K4000M or K3000M. No, there's no Optimus support, so you best stay near a wall outlet. There's also plenty of room for storage: you'll find room for an SSD, a HDD and a Hybrid HDD, plus an mSATA drive. The Scorpius supports RAID 0/1/5/10 for increased storage performance or redundancy. Other specs include an illuminate backlit full size keyboard with numeric keypad, 17.3" 1080p display, CrossfireX and SLI support, four USB 3.0 ports, a headphone jack, Ethernet port, DisplayPort and an HDMI output. The 8-cell battery is nice, but if you're running this thing at full bore, we doubt it'd last much over an hour.

Pricing? The base unit is just under $1800, but maxing it out will put you closer to $3000.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 1:03 PM

DO WANT. Looks .. pretty large, though.. Not sure the idea of portability is registering with Eurocom at this point.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,015
Points 9,500
sevags replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 1:58 PM

I've been seeing eurocom product releases on this and other sites for a couple of years now. They are all over powered over priced machines that look like real thick IBM laptops from 10 years ago.....

But my real concern is.... Who the hell owns a Eurocom?!? Do they even sell these in the states? Does anyone in the states own one? And how many do they sell a year here??????

Seems to me like it's a bunch of advertising for something we don't buy here.....

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:36 PM

That is a desktop replacement if I ever saw one. Anyone who tried to carry one of those beasts around should have a chiropractor on speed dial.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 4:29 AM

Despite the name, Eurocom is a Canadian company, based in Ottowa, so I suspect most of their kit is sold in the United States (they are not, AFAIK, represented here in Sweden). Even though they do make notebooks, most of their production seems to be desktop replacements, which can certainly make for some impressive specs, but I have to question their uutility for most categories of users, who would probably be better off buying a high-end desktop for applications demanding that sort of machine and a much lighter, more portable machine for use when travelling. Given the cost of the maxed-out version of this monster - three large - I suspect there would be money to be saved, even leaving aside the issue of chiropractor bills....

Henri

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 2:31 PM

I can't really criticize the weight because I own a similarly sized, overpowered laptop. I can certainly appreciate it's portability, even if it does have to be plugged in nigh-unto-constantly. If you want an easily portable machine go get a MacBook Air. You won't be gaming on it though. Or doing anything graphic intensive...You could probably watch DVDs, but besides that, I'm hitting a wall.:p

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS