Google's Employee Benefits Extend to the Afterlife

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,161
Points 1,185,460
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Aug 10 2012 12:57 PM
Google employees enjoy some killer perks. These come in the form of free legal advice and discounted legal services, travel insurance, on-site physicians and nurses, free haircuts, foosball and other game tables provided in various buildings on campus, laundry facilities, and other neat benefits. But did you know that Google will even take care of you after you're dead?

Well, not you specifically, but recently disclosed death benefits ensures that your spouse or domestic partner will receive financial support. Specifically, if a Google employee expires, their spouse or partner will receive 50 percent of their salary every year for the duration of 10 years. It doesn't matter if someone just started working for Google or has been there for 15 years, the policy is the same.

Google isn't just a great place to work for while you're alive, it will also take care of your family when you're dead and gone.

That isn't the only financial compensation Google provides. Laszlo Block, Chief People Officer at Google, tells Forbes that surviving spouses see all stocks vested straight away, and any children of the deceased employee will receive a $1,000 monthly payment until they're 19 years old, or 23 years old if they're a full-time student.

"Obviously there’s no benefit to Google [when an employee dies],” Bock says. "But it’s important to the company to help our families through this horrific if inevitable life event."
  • | Post Points: 155
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 1:09 PM

Wow. this is really a great benefit to have, knowing your family is still being taken care of after you no longer can. Google has got to be the best company to work for. Not only do they help assist your family they kinda help but the kids though college too :D. $1,000 a month, thats more then some family makes a month.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 1:11 PM

I never knew that Google employees get such great benefits for working there. This actually ups the image of Google in my eyes and tempts me to see if I can apply.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Those are some amazing benefits. How do I get a job with them :P

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 3:59 PM

I have always been on the side of Google in most cases. I admire their garage-to-riches story, and love how they treat the people working for them.

Sure there have been privacy related "scandals" and issues, and people who hate on Google probably have them to thank for a lot of things; just like people hate on Apple. I'm not Apple's hugest fan but I can't deny what they've brought to the industry. 

Working for Google would be awesome, no matter how you feel about the company now, in the past or perhaps in the future. Benefits like these and the philanthropy of the company in general is something to be admired and aspire to.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 4:24 PM

...pending.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 6:47 PM

eunoia:

What does this policy say about people living alone who haven't procreated/adopted? Second-class employees? Before anyone brings up the parable of the vineyards, this is 2012 not 1952. One way or another this is Google offering benefits to employees who choose the lifestyle of a traditional nuclear family and not as progressive as it seems on the surface.

The policy applies to anyone with a partner, not necessarily those with children.. Covering college tuition simply can't apply to people without kids, and there are of course tons of perks that would fit any employee irrelevant of their relationship. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 7:17 PM

...pending.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 213
Points 2,220
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 184
Points 1,710
lipe123 replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 7:38 PM

@eunoia Not sure if you understand that this is NOT an employee benefit its a benefit to the family members of an employee.

If employee's have no family then thats their choice and thats that. Sounds like you are just trying to be an @55 here with your ridiculous arguments about swingers and mistress' etc.

LOL @ Paul_Lilly  that perfectly sums it up!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 7:52 PM

eunoia:

Erakith:

The policy applies to anyone with a partner, not necessarily those with children.. Covering college tuition simply can't apply to people without kids, and there are of course tons of perks that would fit any employee irrelevant of their relationship. 

I have a few questions that might highlight my concerns:

- Can you designate anyone as a partner, even someone you don't reside with?

- Can you designate multiple partners?

- Are people who prefer the "numerous mistresses with their own residences" lifestyle going to be discrimated against in their professional careers?

- If not, what kinds of support is offered to them? Tracking mistresses' birthdays and anniversaries is easily as stressful as finding good daycare....

Once you're offering additional support to employees because of their chosen lifestyle, it can lead to resentment both from those who don't share the privilege, and more importantly, like in the "controversy" over gay marriage, those who firmly believe their privilege derives from a morally superior stance and categorically refuse to allow any privilege to others. The policy seems way beyond accomodating employees with special challenges in order to have a stronger more diverse workforce and more Google saying they encourage employees to conform to a certain traditional way of living.

- I doubt someone you don't reside with could be considered, simply because this is a large financial commitment to someone you don't have a large life commitment to.

- Multiple partners won't be considered as polygamy is not lawful in this country, or if not marriage based can be considered serial adultery. If these employees were outsourced and in a country where polygamy was widely accepted, then perhaps the circumstances would be different. I do however expect that these perks only apply to those working out of Google's CA campus. 

I'm sure those married with children sometimes resent the freedom of those not opting for that lifestyle choice. Google offers office vacations, outdoor trips, etc, that sometimes due to family commitments people will be unable to attend, due to their chosen lifestyle. Does this mean that they shouldn't offer the perk, because of their own lifestyle choice conflicting with others?

lipe123:

@eunoia Not sure if you understand that this is NOT an employee benefit its a benefit to the family members of an employee.

If employee's have no family then thats their choice and thats that. Sounds like you are just trying to be an @55 here with your ridiculous arguments about swingers and mistress' etc.

I don't think what he's saying is ridiculous at all. He may be playing devil's advocate, sure, but that is a more than acceptable stance to have a debate on. In fact, I frequently play Devil's Advocate in order to find out the true beliefs of the person I am debating with, therefore able to use my own stance to effectively counter or discuss my own point of view. To say someones viewpoint is ridiculous isn't a very good way to enter a discussion. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 8:42 PM

...pending.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,085
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 9:21 PM

Google is a good place to work. They take care of those that work for them in a lot of ways.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Google apparantly is one of the best companies to work for anymore. Not only do they have multiple departments with many employees, now we find out they take care of your family after you're gone. Thats an amazing perk for working at Google...maybe one day I can be lucky enough to be an employee. Google....I'm here! Stick out tongue

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 3:37 PM

Do these admirable policies also extend to non-US employees ? If so, I can only say, more power to Google ! A company that realises that its greatest resource lies in its employees and which takes care of them is also one which I, as a user, am more likely to repose confidence in. Something rather different from Bain Capital....

Henri

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Thats how you run a company. Take care of your employees and it will not only be a great environment for working but they will give you the purest for of respect.

pick me for corsair contes!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 994
Points 14,330
Manduh replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 11:46 AM

Is this a benefit they have to pay for, and how much? Are all employees forced to pay into it? I am just curious because I worked at a call center that offered some pretty amazing employee and death benefits but we had an amount deducted from our pay, and we couldn't opt out even if we didn't need or want the benefits, unless we could prove we were already receiving benefits through a spouse or parent etc. I wasn't overly happy with this because I was single and my daughter was already covered under my ex's workplace but I was still forced to pay a premium out of every check as a single employee. I never ended up using any of the benefits while I was there but they at least enjoyed taking my money lol. Basically, my 'single employee' premium helped pay for the families who needed to use theirs. I guess it balances things out for the company in the end but it didn't help me out any. I wonder if Google is doing the same thing here.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 12:41 PM

The question is what one wants to mean by «my money». All employee benefits, like everything else - the costs of the buildings in which people work, the cost of heating those buildings in the winter and cooling them in the summer, the cost of running and cooling the servers, the cost of executive salaries, stock options, and other perks, etc, etc - have to come from a company's earnings ; ultimately there is no other source. Google, as the highly successful outfit it is, seems to pay its empoyees well and in addtion provide them with other perks, among which the death benefits described in the article. Is this a wise use of what, after all, always are limited funds ? To my mind, rather than paying Messrs Brin, Page, and Schmidt still higher compensation for their efforts, the company has done well to use some of its profits as per the above. Yes, they could have chosen to pay the corresponding amount of money directly to each individual employee to use freely as he or she chooses, but I submit the choice made is likely to lead to a greater sense of cohesion and team spirit among a majority, if not all employees. But as I mentioned in my previous posting on this thread, I'd very much like to know if these benefits extend to all Google employees 'round the world, or merely to those employed in the United States....

Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,085
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 6:33 PM

They don't get money deducted for their perks. My Son in law almost went to work for them and flew out to be interviewed. He chose to stay in the town he was in, rather than relocate.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 2:07 AM

...pending.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS