Samsung Completely Disinterested in Buying RIM or Licensing BlackBerry OS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,345
Points 1,191,275
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Aug 9 2012 10:59 AM
Peter Misek, an analyst with Jefferies & Co., issued a note this week on the sorry state of Research In Motion (RIM) and conveyed little faith that BlackBerry 10 OS will be the savior that RIM needs it to be. However, Misek also brought up the possibility that Samsung could either buy RIM outright or license the company's BB 10 software, noting that an acquisition was probably Samsung's best bet. As it turns out, that's not a gamble Samsung wants to take.

Samsung was quick to squash rumors of a potential buyout and told Reuters that it's absolutely not interested in acquiring RIM, nor is the mobile handset maker entertaining the idea of licensing BB 10. Fresh data from International Data Corporation reveals that Samsung accounted for nearly half -- 44 percent -- of all Android smartphone shipments in the second quarter of 2012, which is more than the next seven Android players combined, so it's no big surprise Samsung would rather forge ahead with Google's OS.

Someecard
Image Source: someecards.com

At the same time, Samsung isn't totally faithful to Android. The handset maker also builds Windows Phone devices and dabbles with its own mobile OS platform called Bada. With that in mind, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for Samsung to give BB 10 a run, it just seems highly unlikely, given that Samsung is usually quick to stomp out RIM rumors each time they pop up.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

If anything it would have snatched webOS from HP, not bb10 OS.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 12:49 PM

I'm still sad to see Blackberry decline, they were pretty good phones back in the day when it always one of the top 3 choices.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 1:19 PM

They wouldn't have to nab WebOS, the open source community edition is already available and Open webOS 1.0 is planned for September release.

While QNX based software is pretty widely used and that can add added value to the BB10 for letting devices to be used with say your car OS for example. There's quite a range of devices that use QNX... Setting up many possibilities like storing a BlackBerry ID on a router can allow for advanced BB encrypted over the internet file and screen sharing. Similarly, it can allow printing securely at the office or home from anywhere.

So BB10 could arguably have more potential than WebOS...

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Have.....past tense. They were, at one point in time, considering(or rumored to be considering) purchasing webOS from HP before the open source annoucement. I was just saying if they had a chance to buy a great os back then and didn't, why would they buy bb10 now? Both OS's defintely have potential but obviously people aren't very interested in either.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 2:59 PM

Yeah; but refusal to move with the market, and at the markets speed which they did not do at the start of all this smartphone stuff killed them. They easily could have been the top provider in the world right now as they totally owned the entire corporate/business market completely then if only they would have moved quickly.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 3:01 PM

I recently drowned my BlackBerry; it's actually a really useful tool, and I miss it. I'll be sad to see RIM go.

I'm originally from the UK and the ability to message using BBM free-of-charge was an absolute lifesaver financially. My family all remain in England whilst I live in Michigan; it was extremely convenient.

RIM should have allowed other manufacturers to get on the BBM train when they were interested. I hope they still are. Losing that tool could have severe cost / communication implications with myself or my family.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 6:53 PM

No, we don't know the interest or lack thereof for the BB10 because it's the next gen version of the OS and hasn't been vetted yet.

Most of RIM's issues has been due to mismanagement and underestimating how quickly the markets were changing. Products like the Torch only served to catch up instead of lead for example and the software was hobbled by last gen hardware as one can't expect leading performance from a 600MHz processor for example when most of the competition had already long started using 1GHz and faster processors.

QNX though is widely used in many products, even military jets. So if BB10 is a satisfactory update then even if RIM still fails to sell enough phones doesn't mean no one wouldn't be interested in licensing their OS.

Besides, licensing could also mean access to RIM's secure messaging service, which is still the most secure and convenient.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 10:27 PM

@Erakith you should use Whatsapp to text your family, just like bbm it uses your data rather than minutes and it has all the functionality of bbm. Its' available for ios, android and blackberry, also use viber to talk to them (this app also uses you data). Viber is available on ios and android, i dont think its available for blackberry.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 12:23 AM

Mind though Whatsapp doesn't have BBM's level of security, there's even a bit of security concern, but if you're not concerned about that then Whatsapp may even be preferable with its cross platform availability and is considered more fun to use.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 9:42 PM

Thanks to both of you, I had no idea these existed. I can now happily get my phone of choice and still message for free.

AWESOME.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS