Maingear Potenza Super Stock SFF System Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,819
Points 1,166,760
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Aug 8 2012 1:03 PM

Maingear Potenza Super Stock SFF System ReviewNotebook makers aren't the only ones trying to cram big performance parts into little form factors. Desktop system builders are attempting the same thing, and if you require proof, all the evidence you need is packed inside Maingear's Potenza Super Stock (SS) gaming PC. Built around the mini-ITX form factor, the Potenza SS is a small form factor (SFF) system that rises above the moderate expectations of what a comparatively itty-bitty PC can truly deliver. As it turns out, a mini-ITX rig can pack quite the payload.

It starts with an Intel Ivy Bridge foundation, and Maingear bumped up the default processor option to an unlocked Core i7 3770K chip. Maingear then goosed the CPU past its stock 3.5GHz clockspeed as part of the company's optional Redline overclocking service...

Maingear Potenza Super Stock SFF System Review

• | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 5:18 PM

...pending.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750

Eventually everything gets smaller and slimmer. I wasn't too long ago that flat screen monitors were replaced CRT monitors. Perhaps gaming rigs much farther in the future will shrink down to the size of a Mac Mini or even further, a Raspberry Pi.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 5:20 PM

The problem that I find with a lot of mini itx cases is usually their depth, If you want to build a system with a decent graphics card then it can get too deep to fit inside a media cabinet. By mounting the graphic card vertically Maingear solved this problem but I guess ran into another problem of having the back I/O in an awkward position. Either way this is a powerful and small system.

Can this be the prize for the next contest?? That would be AWESOME!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 6:20 AM

Why does Maingear KEEP releasing stuff as if they designed and manufactured it themselves, when they are really just re-badging great designs/products from others?

The case is from Silverstone (FT03-mini).

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=333

I built an i5 based HTPC with one several months ago, and it IS a brilliant case and will fit dual-slot video cards unlike a lot of mini-ITX solutions. The 140mm fan blowing air from the bottom of the case up through the chassis and out the top grill works brilliantly.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 12:13 PM

Maingear astounds once again. Definitely one of the tops when it comes to high performance builds. I certainly wouldn't mind one of these for a portable gaming system.

"I have the power!!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 8:09 PM

MCaddick:

Why does Maingear KEEP releasing stuff as if they designed and manufactured it themselves, when they are really just re-badging great designs/products from others?

The case is from Silverstone (FT03-mini)

I'm so glad someone said this.

I like Maingear, the computers they build are relatively well priced for prebuilt machines, and are always nice eye-candy.

But this is not their case. Neither is their flagship case either; that's a SilverStone too. They should at least credit SIlverStone when describing the case on the build page. It's not a Maingear i5/i7, it's intel. so why can't they call it the Maingear Potenza, that uses the FT03 Mini?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 11:18 PM

@MCaddick you are absolutely right, I saw a video review for that case a while back and realized my mistake once I read your post. As for the other builds from Maingear they are usually parts that anybody can throw together (I don't know why I thought they made a case out of no where). it's mainly the Maingear laptops that impress me. 

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 85
MDerby replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 5:51 PM

The only thing I like about this is the case, build quality, and pre-built. What I don't like THE PRICE for what you get, I'd prefer to build my own if that meant that I would save a few bucks to get the same results.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator

It performs well. I think I would prefer not to have the Maingear name brightly painted on it. The case looks good without that flash on it.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS