Shortcuts

Sorry Disgruntled OEMs, But Microsoft is Planning a Second Generation Surface Tablet

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,935
Points 1,118,545
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Aug 8 2012 11:30 AM
Much to the chagrin of Acer and Microsoft's other hardware partners who are less than thrilled with the Redmond company's decision to launch a Windows 8-based tablet of its own, it appears Microsoft's Surface strategy isn't going to be a one-and-done affair, after all. Instead, recent reports suggest Microsoft is already working on a second generation Surface tablet.

More than a dozen job advertisements were noticed on Microsoft's Careers website between June and August in which the Redmond outfit said the Surface team is "currently building the next generation [of] devices that fully express the Windows vision," and that "Surface needs you!"

Microsoft Surface Tablet

If not a second generation Surface tablet, Microsoft is certainly working on a Surface something or other. One of the job postings is looking for a mechanical engineer with an "understanding of touch display architecture and experience in mechanical integration of large touch displays into electronics products." That could be a large screen TV or some other type of display, but other postings make it clear Microsoft's Surface team is hiring on the mobile side, too.

Since the first generation Surface isn't even out yet, it's a little tough to speculate on what a Surface 2 could bring to the tablet party, though there are some vague clues in the job postings. One such post is looking for someone to help with "passive and active cooling thermal designs," perhaps indicating that Microsoft wants to improve the Surface tablet's battery life.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 5:36 PM

...pending.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750

Going on just a hunch, I don't think Microsoft will succeed in the tablet market with Metro.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 7:04 PM

eunoia:

They're making those cool screens from Minority Report which, frighteningly, came out in 2002!

I think the only part of that movie that I actually enjoyed was that opening sequence with the awesome touch"screens". Do want.

RE: the topic, I think it was always likely that Microsoft would make a successor to the Surface. It's just the way they operate as a business. Technically, Office 2010 was fine; but there's still going to be a 2013. Microsoft will always attempt to remain relevant in the marketplace by bringing out newer and refreshed versions of their products.. and frankly, any other business looking to compete would be wise to do the same.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 429
Points 3,535

I agree with you InsideSin, the OEM are lagging to far behind. Now MS look like they have a really winner. Time will tell.

But ifs it is indeed successful which i think it will be why wouldn't you make a second gen and third and so on.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 10:06 PM

If you're designing G2 before G1 is released, instead of planning G1sp1... you know you've screwed up in a significant way.

Therefore, I doubt they're actually making any real moves toward a next gen of hardware.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 902
Points 8,350
sevags replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 12:35 PM

I disagree with the above, not only is surface going to sell well, but if windows8 with metro is going to be successful anywhere it's going to be more on a mobile platform like tablets and phones right up the surfaces's ally.

I myself with be getting a surface core i5

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 10:44 PM

Gotta agree with 3vil on this one, something about this just doesn't sound right. Microsoft may have realized they screwed up big with the design somehow and wanna get a replacement ready to save face.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 307
Points 2,685
JDiaz replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 12:37 AM

There's nothing indicating there's anything wrong with the Surface tablet itself. So that just leaves the only thing MS really has to worry about is the OS and that doesn't require any hardware adjustment and they can put out the OS SP update whenever it's ready.

While everyone seems to have forgotten MS recent acquisition of Pixel Inc, a provider of large scale touch screens, which highly suggests a more traditional Surface application. Also on the mobile side they could be working on accessories and/or expanding on projects like Project Glass, etc.

Then there's the fact that Intel is coming out with Haswell update next year and that promises a significant improvement over Ivy Bridge that should make for much better push towards full PC tablets. So MS could very well be pushing for the next gen version of the Surface pretty soon and they're not likely to wait to the last minute to start preparing.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS