Siri, Meet Your Virtual Assisant Sister, Nina

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,835
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Aug 6 2012 2:33 PM
There was plenty of speculation and suspicion when Apple’s Siri launched that it was using Nuance technology; many assumed that Nuance was involved with Siri, at least on the back end, but both Apple and Nuance were strangely vague and evasive about it.

All of that seems irrelevant now, though, with Nuance’s announcement of Nina. The company bills Nina as the “virtual assistant for mobile customer service apps”, and like Siri, she uses speech recognition technology to help users figure things out and get things done. But Nina isn’t just some Siri clone.

Nina virtual assistant

Nina is available for both iOS and Android and uses speech recognition, text-to-speech, voice biometrics, and cloud-based Natural Language Understanding technologies. It can be integrated into existing apps so companies can brand their own version of Nina, and there’s a Nina Virtual Assistant SDK so devs can go to town on the new technology.

Here’s Nina in action:

Robert Weidman, executive vice president and general manager of the Nuance Enterprise Division said in a press release, “Nina is a watershed innovation for the automated customer service industry, not only because it brings the virtual assistant directly into an app, but because it raises the bar through its level of interactive dialog and language understanding.”

Part of the Nina release is a partnership with financial services provider USAA, which will incorporate Nina into its mobile app with a pilot program in August.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310

Will be looking forward to give this a try. android should integrate this in to their phones now :P.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625

It seems very based on three distinct features, one voice recognition pass words, two social services that have been too delicate to trifle with such as money transferring and booking flights, and third that its incredibly simple and can interpret your meaning without you having to combine your words in a certain way.

Looks like a good intuitive product so if it works it should be a nice addition to the Siri loving iPhone 4GS users.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 9:20 PM

Looks pretty good, might be as much fun as Siri, maybe even useful!! I don't have an iphone but know quiet a few people who do, they don't use Siri that much and I don't know why. I'll wait to try out Nina on my android phone and see how good or bad it is.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 10:02 PM

If only the voice recognition built into Windows 7 was as good as Siri or Nina. When I sprained my wrist I decided to try to experiment with the Windows 7 voice recognition but from the sheer amount of mistakes it made it was much faster to just type with a single hand.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS