Google Nexus Q Shipments Delayed due to Software Issues, Preorders will be Free

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,383
Points 1,192,320
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Aug 3 2012 3:06 PM
When Google announced a boatload of new and exciting products and services at Google I/O earlier this summer, one oddball product that stuck out was the Google Nexus Q media streaming device. The black orb seemed to have dropped out of the clear blue sky, and its tentacle-like extremities were reminiscent of invaders from War of the Worlds.

Further, the price tag was $299, which seemed awfully high for what the thing supposedly did.

Nevertheless, people preordered the Q, but now according to multiple reports including the New York Times, Google is delaying shipments of the Nexus Q indefinitely due to software problems--or, more directly, user dissatisfaction with what the Q is capable of doing.

Google Nexus Q

The Q is an Android computer with an ARM Cortex 9 processor and Android 4.0 ICS on board, and it can stream HD media from the Google Play Store with the ability for you, friends, and family to control it or add to the media playlist via Android phone and tablets. Apparently, that’s not enough for beta users, who reportedly also weren’t keen on the interface.

If you preordered a Nexus Q and are now fuming about this frustrating delay, take heart: Google will send you your Q free of charge when it does become available.
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750

Well now I wish I was one of the ones that preordered the Nexus Q. I'd receive it for free to decorate my living room and it'd be great up until someone asked what it did. All in all though, this was a good move by Google. Those who preordered receive the Nexus Q for free (who can really gripe about that?). As well as future customers will not be disappointed if Google implements the suggestions/feedback from the Google I/O patrons.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 5:12 PM

I like Google... but I'm not sure I want one of those things after the way they tried to kill everyone in The Matrix.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 150

I love this! Thanks for share :D

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

Wow, if i had seen this coming i would have per-ordered this as well... LOL So nice of Google.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 7:56 PM

Love the Matrix comment 3vi1.

It would look awesome in my media cabinet but I probably would never use it. HTPC ftw.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,104
Points 11,180
CDeeter replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 9:42 PM

At $299, I just couldn't justify buying this thing, way too limited. But I have to give Google credit for taking care of those who are now in a holding pattern. I hope for them it's worth the wait, even if it is free now.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625

The nexus is a computer running android? how does that work? does android have an interface comapatible with mouse an keyboard or is it like the apple tv or roku?

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
CBerry replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 10:23 AM

This device is cool, but poorly positioned in it's marketing. It is being compared to an AppleTV/GoogleTV, when it is more like an advanced Sonos unit. They need to untether it from your android device and allow apps on it. That, to me, would make it more compelling.

Here's to hoping that the modding community will deliver a better OS. Cyanogenmod Q perhaps?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,687
Points 104,340
MembershipAdministrator

3vi1:
I like Google... but I'm not sure I want one of those things after the way they tried to kill everyone in The Matrix.

LOL!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 1:00 PM

If you pre-ordered would you not have already paid for it? If that was the case you would not get it free after some huge wait when you had already paid for it so how do you get it free?

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS