Shortcuts

Rumors Confirmed: RIM Announces the 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet, Available August 9th

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,935
Points 1,118,665
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Aug 2 2012 1:38 PM
Although it’s launching first in Canada, the rumored 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook tablet has arrived. RIM announced the 7-inch (1024x600 resolution) slate, which is packing a 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, and 32GB of storage.

Other specs include 4G connectivity, 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1, micro USB port, micro HDMI port, GPS unit, 3MP/5MP front/rear cameras, and stereo speakers. The WiFi-only version has a processor with a lower clock (1GHz) and is available in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB versions.

RIM BlackBerry Playbook

Users will be treated to onboard software including Documents To Go and will have access to the BlackBerry App World, Video Store, and Music Store. Other perks courtesy of the PlayBook OS 2 platform include a unified inbox, support for HTML5, Calendar, Contacts, and social networking integration.

BlackBerry app store

BlackBerry unified inbox

Enterprises, RIM has you covered too, with BlackBerry Mobile Fusion and BlackBerry Balance, which are designed to keep personal and business data separate and secure.

RIM stated in a press release that “additional variants” of the PlayBook are coming soon in the U.S., Europe, South Africa, Latin America, and the Caribbean.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Points 800

I have to admit, I like seeing RIM fighting for their survival. This tablet is obviously what the PB should have been on first release, but interesting to see none the less. I do wonder if their "wifi only" models, i.e.- leftover stock will still be selling for a competitive price. With the new OS, and most android apps now being ported over, this could actually gain a little traction for them. It be nice to see anyway....

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Thu, Aug 2 2012 6:02 PM

Even with android apps being ported over there aren't too many apps currently available that work flawlessly. I have a few and some of them are problematic sometimes. I recently got an android phone so I might root that to get the apk files for the files and then port them myself over to my playbook, haven't decided yet whether I want to take the leap of rooting my phone though.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 910

I too wonder if one could get android running on these tablets (if not 4.0, at least 3.0). That would make those older wi-fi only models very attractive.

@Karanm rooting your phone will be comfortable or painful, depending on the phone (and how much documentation is available from those who have successfully rooted). The Samsung galaxy series, from a friend's experience, are not too bad, and can be more or less painlessly recovered even after bricking. I'm not so brave either (yet).

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Thu, Aug 2 2012 8:10 PM

I have an HTC One X, and I've found some links on how to do it but yea just need the time and courage to do it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,797
Points 45,505
rapid1 replied on Thu, Aug 2 2012 10:37 PM

Hey Karanm go to XDA you should find a walk through for it I use Android Revolution HD and it works flawless. I have tried a lot of ROM's but Revolution seems to be the most stable I have found yet in any version (this (HD) is one of the ICS ones) of which I have used several ICS one but could never get one with an included Radio that worked flawlessly in the package.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625

RImm has been struggling hardcore but its hard to say blackberry's are dead. they have a die hard following and with that kind of loyalty its almost impossible to fade away.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625

My brother bought the first playbook and couldn't believe how long it took them to make a sequel, kudos blackberry we are rooting for you.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 6:22 AM

Thanks,

I've bookmarked the site and will give it a better look very soon.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750

Unfortunately I missed their incredibly cheap sale last year for the $99 16gb version. I noticed a slight price drop at my local BestBuy however down from $199 to $179.99 for the 16GB Wifi only version.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS