Apple OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,498
Points 1,196,715
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Aug 2 2012 12:23 PM

Apple OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) ReviewOS X is a significant step forward for Apple and it has reached a very mature stage. Obviously, we've only got another point release before we roll to OS 11, or whatever Apple ends up naming it. To best understand what makes this edition worthwhile though, let's look at what's new. The actual desktop space of OS X 10.8 isn't dramatically different than what you'll find in 10.7. At a glance, it may be tough to see what's actually different in Mountain Lion. But it's just a reminder that most point updates are subtle, and many of the changes are under the hood.

Mountain Lion is essentially a refined version of Lion, with a ton of useful additions that mostly tap into the iOS ecosystem. Those who use iPhones and iPads will greatly appreciate the extras; those who do not use an iOS device… Mountain Lion might give you pause to consider one...

Apple OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) Review

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625

It shows pretty heavily the classic attitude of apple. Instead of stretching the system to apply to the outlier users, they make their product so great that everyone changes their environment to suit their mac. And with good cause, No manufacturer on earth has been able to create such a compelling case to never touch any one else's hardware again. Every electronic need is filled and done so flawlessly. Apple has not changed with the departure of Steve Jobs.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625

An interesting question is brought up though, If apple doesn't change without Steve jobs do they lose their ability to change? In the recent biography by Walter Isaacson, Steve Jobs notes that on every major success apple has had, he had to "push the rewind button" taking a good product and making a radical change close to the deadline in order to make it perfect.

Steve Jobs was a sadist jerk sometimes, but his passions for great products is incredibly hard to parallel, can the level headed new CEO Tim Rice do the same?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750

Very true, I had admired Steve Jobs at times while disagreeing with decisions he's made during others. I chuckled when I read that he attributed his success/vision of products/change on the use of drugs like LSD. Perhaps Tim needs a little bit of that.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 9:02 PM

Apple really seems to be moving in an interesting direction. They're catering more and more to the owners of their handheld devices, they've even come so far as to make OS 10.8 more like that found on an iPad. Based on their sales I absolutely understand their decision, they've sold more IOS products in 2011 than they've sold Macs in 28 years. Logically, the push to make things more like IOS makes sense, people obviously like it, but it just seems so counter-intuitive. I guess this might be giving us little hints as to where technology is going. Who knows what will be around in 5 years time? I can only imagine, but I am excited!

• | Post Points: 20
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS