In Search of Gold, Apple's New Mac Ads are Olympic Fails

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,715
Points 1,208,530
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jul 29 2012 5:07 PM
It doesn't matter if you're a Mac fanatic or if you're anti-Apple to the core, there's no denying the Cupertino company knows how to market and sell a product to the masses. Steve Jobs, if nothing else, created a consumer culture where iDevices are in such high demand, people will line up for blocks to purchase the newest iPhone or iPad tablet. If you're old enough to remember the Tickle Me Elmo craze, it's like, times ten, and it happens every time Cupertino launches a new handheld gadget.

Apple's success is due, in part, to the company's ability to creatively market and advertise its products. The "Get a Mac" commercials featuring John Hodgman (as a PC) and Justin Long (as a Mac) were at times hilarious, and it didn't matter that they exaggerated topics to the point of inaccuracy. In fact, if you're a Windows PC user, you remember them because they grossly overstated the so-called facts, not in spite of them.

It's more than a little surprising, then, that Apple released not one, but three consecutive duds that aired during the 2012 London Olympics.

These new ads aren't just bad, they're horrendously awful, and presented to the public on one of the biggest stages, no less. At the time of this writing, the three 30-second ads have amassed 2,593 dislikes and 189 likes on YouTube. On average, 93.3 percent of online viewers have given the videos a thumbs down.

Can they really be that bad? Well, the first one ("Mayday") features an Apple Genius advising a Mac user who forgot his anniversary on how to make a video for his wife before his plane lands. The point of the ad is to show that Apple software is incredibly easy to use and efficient, but it's portrayed in a way that makes your average Mac user come off like a complete tool.

The second ad ("Basically") attempts to discredit Intel's Ultrabook form factor, though the ad doesn't come right out and say as much. Instead, it focuses on a customer who was bamboozled into purchasing a non-Mac laptop from a shady looking seller who pitched himself as "basically" an Apple genius. The customer is thrilled that his PC "basically looks like a Mac" but quickly learns that it's nothing like one. Why? Uh, because it's not "loaded with all the great apps, like iPhone, iMovie, [and] Garageband."

Apple's third ad ("Labor Day") shows a man who's wife is going into labor knocking on the door of an Apple Genius seeking help making a photo card to announce the birth of his child. The point? We're not sure.

All three ads star the same Apple Genius, and we can't help but remember the "Dude, you're getting a Dell" commercials. That's not exactly a flattering comparison for Apple, but it's one that's earned. The general reaction around the Web is that these are "embarrassing" and only succeed in portraying Mac users are "inept."

We've embedded all three ads above for your viewing [dis]pleasure. What do you think?
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 418
Points 5,360
FreeJet replied on Sun, Jul 29 2012 5:57 PM

They bit the Apple in the face
And spit the bitter after-taste
The Tube told You it fell from grace
And basically got sprayed with mace
I shield my eyes from breach birth waste
My PC laptop flipped its case
At fruit of looming genius haste.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jul 29 2012 11:25 PM

It is much like I see in general from Apple lately no completion. The new iPad is awesome and has this great super duper high rez display, but we forgot to find a disto and the materials to make enough, and oh yeah there also supposed to be on the new iBooks to, but we don't have enough for even the new iPads so no one can have a new iBook, oh and the iPhone 5 is probably going to be late to but we do have a new service pack for our OS you need to pay for if you want it rather than getting it like all other OS service packs for free.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jul 29 2012 11:27 PM

Oh and virus's malware etc seems to be creeping up and growing more common as well but they don't have any virus updates much to speak of unless of course you want to pay for an antivirus even though it does not have many updates either it is better than running in the parade nude I guess.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 425
MCook replied on Mon, Jul 30 2012 6:44 AM

I'm old enough (40) to remember the Cabbage Patch craze in the 80s :) Tickle Me Elmo didn't have anything on those cute, chubby little babies! ;)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 656
Points 5,955
mhenriday replied on Mon, Jul 30 2012 4:02 PM

HH, you're supposed to counter my prejudices, not confirm them !....

Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Mon, Jul 30 2012 8:41 PM

ROFL both of my sisters got there cabbagepatch kids at Babyland General (I am from Georgia) so it was somewhat ordinary for girls in North Georgia anyway.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Mon, Jul 30 2012 8:44 PM

These commercials entirely suck I saw a couple and was wondering "what the hell" when I saw them, there horrible. I did assume they were going to somehow sooner or later make sense of them though.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 611
Points 5,015
RiCoFrost replied on Mon, Jul 30 2012 11:40 PM

WOW they are all sooooooo bad, I gave it to Apple for their adds but now they look desperate and have not class at all.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 611
Points 5,015
RiCoFrost replied on Mon, Jul 30 2012 11:45 PM

Apple tried to copy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V40oo4kkzHg

That add had taste and was well done, apples version was total fail...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750

The first commercial on the plane I thought actually wasn't too bad. It showed that apps on the Mac were simple however I dislike the use of the Apple "Genius". Everyone knows that Apple Geniuses are a joke.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625

Truly disappointing, like Paul said, apple is normally a rock star when it comes to marketing and sales, this is a serious flop and steve jobs would never have let it happen. Tim Rice dropped the ball this time.

The first great apple commercial, the 1984 commercial, set a standard that would only be broken once by jobs, his failed sequel with business managers walking off a cliff.

I hope Tim Rice can chalk this one up to experience and let it be forgotten.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS