Game-Changer: TSMC May Build Dedicated Apple Fab

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,190
Points 1,186,200
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jul 23 2012 11:20 AM

Game-Changer: TSMC May Build Dedicated Apple FabTrusted sources we've spoken to in the semiconductor industry have implied that TSMC is considering a partnership with Apple that would realign the manufacturer's technology roadmap and fundamentally alter the balance of power between the foundry and its other customers. Morris Chang, TSMC's CEO, spoke about the possibility of closer collaboration with its customers in general terms last Friday, but at the time we thought the likelihood of an Apple alliance was unlikely. We've since been given reason to think otherwise.

A dedicated alliance with Apple that gives the company first access to 20nm production and/or a dedicated fab could fundamentally redefine the foundry-customer relationship and have serious impact on both TSMC's other customers and its competitors...

Game-Changer: TSMC May Build Dedicated Apple Fab

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 450
KreepyK replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 9:36 AM

Definitely a bad news for everyone else specially if Apple gained exclusive access to the newer technology Which id quite expected considering typical Apple's strategies and their pronounced influence.

I think TSMC is not spending enough money on R&D Despite being on of the most profitable corporations with a staggering Profit/Revenue ratio of 0.4 and the fact that their business model depend on it. While GlobalFoundries's smaller profit margin give them a bit of an excuse for their technological details, TSMC's delay is inexcusable.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,625
Joel H replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 3:26 PM

I wouldn't call it inexcusable. I think, rather, that it's the sign of just how difficult scaling has gotten at these nodes.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS