Hey Linux Gamers, Would You Like Some Steam with Your WINE? Valve's On It

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,160
Points 1,185,410
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jul 17 2012 9:26 AM
Mmm, Steam'd penguins. Sounds delightful, doesn't it? Good news, Linux fans -- the developers at Valve are hard at work cooking up a version of the Steam game platform to serve up to the open-source community, along with a side dish of the Source game engine (and Left 4 Dead 2 specifically), both of which it plans to port over to Ubuntu. We know that last bit will elicit some groans from die-hard Linux users who'd rather not touch Ubuntu with a ten-foot pole, but hey, it's a start.

"Why Ubuntu? There are a couple of reasons for that. First, we're just starting development and working with a single distribution is critical when you are experimenting, as we are," Valve stated in a blog post. "Secondly, Ubuntu is a popular distribution and has recognition with the general gaming and developer communities. This doesn't mean that Ubuntu will be the only distribution we support. Based on the success of our efforts around Ubuntu, we will look at supporting other distributions in the future."

Left 4 Dead 2 Penguin

How far in the future is not something Valve disclosed, nor did it say when it hopes to have Steam ready for Ubuntu. What Valve did say is that it has three goals in mind, which include getting the Steam client onto Linux with full functionality (no half-baked ports, in other words), optimizing a version of Left 4 Dead 2 running at a high frame rate with OpenGL, and porting additional Valve titles.

"Since the Steam client isn’t much without a game, we’re also porting L4D2 to Ubuntu," Valve added. "This tests the game-related features of the Steam client, in addition to L4D2 gameplay on Ubuntu. Over the last few months, excellent progress has been made on several fronts and it now runs natively on Ubuntu 12.04. We’re working hard to improve the performance and have made good progress (more on that in a future post). Our goal is to have L4D2 performing under Linux as well as it performs under Windows."

If you want to keep an eye on Valve's development, be sure to bookmark its brand new Valve Linux blog.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Who else is excited here! Were is 3vi1? 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 8:09 PM

Hey Bob. Yeah, I'm excited. I've just been hard at work and not much time to swing round. :)

The title of the article here is a little bit misleading to people who know what Wine is. This code is 100% native - like the Mac ports, no use of Wine at all. To those who don't know: Wine's an abstraction/dll-reimplimentation layer us Linux gamers have been using to run Steam for the last several years.

Rumor has it that this version of L4D2 is using the absolute latest version of the Source engine, so we might not be too crazy to expect support from nearly day one when CS:GO and the other new games drop. As the older games get refreshed to run on the new base, we should be getting them too.

The really exciting part about this is that it's really going to put a spotlight on bugs and performance problems in the proprietary OpenGL drivers. These will be much more prevalent and easier to recreate than the issues we occasionally have when using Wine (and can't be written off by the driver devs as Wine bugs, since this is native). So, I expect we'll see some major improvements in the nVidia and AMD binary blobs over the next year.

It's a great time to be a Linux user.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 8:27 PM

Hmmmm..;. Et tu, Serious Sam 3?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Thu, Jul 19 2012 7:48 AM

Can either one of you suggest any good learning tools for linux? At the moment i pretty much suck at using it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, Jul 20 2012 4:38 PM

@fat78: I guess that depends on which distribution you're trying to use, and what you want to do with it.

If you're using Ubuntu, I'd suggest visiting the UbuntuForums (ubuntuforums.org). There are sections there for most anything you could have questions about - as well as an 'absolute beginners' forum designed to help new users get up to speed.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 10:37 PM

@fat78

http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_learning_the_shell.php

This site helped me get started with Linux when I was a total beginner. Start with learning simple navigation through folders and try to use the command line as much as possible. I forced myself to learn to do almost everything through the command line by running a Team Fortress 2 server on a text-only CentOS dedicated server.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 315

WOW.. i am extremely surprised its really awesome game and graphics is also good.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS