Google’s Project Glass Details Unveiled, Seeding to Devs for $1500 Each

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,850
Points 1,171,035
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jun 27 2012 4:21 PM
Project Glass has been the intriguing pet project of Google co-founder Sergey Brin, and although we’ve seen teases of the prototype here and there, Brin and company dropped some more details and showed off the specs’ potential with a presentation for the ages at Google's I/O.

Here’s video of a live Google+ Hangout being streamed via several pairs of Google Glasses, which was just a precursor the epic live skydiving/rappelling/biking presentation the gang made at the conference:

Although it’s hard to follow that level of awesome with boring old details, here they are: Once Google Glasses become a bona fide consumer product, people will essentially be able to live stream their entire lives via first-person POV. (OK, that’s also kind of awesome.) You’ll be able to, for example, stare lovingly at your newborn baby and capture his face, or actually watch your daughter’s entire Little League while filming it, or--well, you get it.

The Glasses will be able to take photos as well as video, and they’ll have a touchpad, microphone, and gyroscopes. Eventually, search will be integrated as well as convenient features such as Google Calendar and Google+ Hangouts with pop-up notifications. Even more enticing, especially if the cyber-pirate look of the prototype turns you off, the Glasses will have a scalable design to integrate with (or possibly be mounted on) normal-looking glasses and sunglasses.

Google is looking for developer help and will be selling the Google Glasses Explorer Edition to them for $1500. Be prepared for a future wherein you'll never, ever know when someone is shooting video or taking photos of you.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Jun 28 2012 12:24 AM

I'm sorry but Google just knows how to rock it. That was a pretty awesome demo.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 2:42 PM

Amazed this thread doesn't have more responses. 

The ambition behind this project is intense; and the possibilities of this project are absolutely ridiculous.

So much could be done with it, more than just a social tool, it could be utilized for so many applications. I remember the initial announcement and video where there was a visible display that would add a HUD to your peripheral vision. So much awesome in these little things.

On a side note, I'd have been amused if one of the skydivers lost their Glass when falling.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Tue, Aug 7 2012 5:04 PM

...pending.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Tue, Aug 7 2012 5:11 PM

eunoia:

This is revolutionary in ways we don't even fully grasp yet: from truth-finding documentary journalism to unobtrusively digitizing personal memories as they happen. You are the director of the movie of your life, Strange Days here we come.

This is what I was trying to say. I couldn't figure how to word my response, but it truly is a revolutionary product. It can be a stepping stone for a whole host of new tech, too.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS