Solid State Drive Prices Steadily Dropping

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,696
Points 1,157,080
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jun 23 2012 12:52 PM
Solid state drives (SSDs) may well supplant mechanical hard disk drives (HDDs) as the storage of choice one day, but two things need to happen first. Capacity needs to increase, and the cost of flash-based storage needs to come down. Both of those things are happening right before our highs.

Increasingly bigger SSDs are finding their way to the market place, and as a recent investigation shows, prices are declining at a remarkably rapid rate. Within the past several months, SSD prices have plummeted upwards of 60 percent in some cases, such as OCZ's Agility 3 line.

One of the most notable drops belongs to Corsair's M4 line, which has dropped 57-64 percent in the past year. In fact, according to the report, Crucial's 256GB M4 boasts the best bang-per-gigabyte at the moment, at $0.82 per gigabyte. There are more than half a dozen other models priced at under a buck per gigabyte (OCZ's Agility 3 240GB checks in at $0.86 per gigabyte, for example), and a handful of others that hover around the $1 to $1.20 per gigabyte mark.

Higher capacities tend to offer the best value, which is the way it should be, even if that wasn't always the case. The bottom line is, if you're interested in an SSD but haven't shopped one lately due to price, you should take another look; you might be surprised at what you find.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 2:34 PM

last week newegg had a shellshocker deal for a 120gb ssd for $70 without tax and shipping (about $0.58 per gigabyte).Told a friend about it and now i need to install it in his system later. Also newegg weekend express deals have a 512GB crucial drive for $345 (0.67 per gigabyte).

Just over a year ago it cost me about $1.5 per gigabyte.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jun 24 2012 12:15 AM

Yup; I have been seeing a lot of it to lately, and it seems faster and faster. This is the big thing to me though, I have a 64 GB SSD, and the only thing I really see a major advantage to is the OS. I guess maybe if I did major photo, video, or sound production I may see more of an advantage. I do small amounts of those things and it does not seem to be a huge deal to me really. Now with my OS running faster and more fluid as it has been since I got it the upgrade is across the board as the OS controls everything. I think until the drives drop to comparable prices to a standard HD it will most likely be my main concern. I could see easily a good use for between 90-128GB for that but would rather have raided 10,000 rpm drives I would think for the storage side of things which would include pictures, music, video, and multimedia as they were generally developed for a standard HD and therefore run fine as is even with high density sound files (grades above MP3 etc) and others. I am not saying I don't see a good enough performance envelope I am more saying the needs for the performance is limited to specific types of software as the other types are really made to be used on a standard HD in a lot of aspect's anyway.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS