Apple Employees Start Receiving Sizable Discounts on Macs, iPad Tablets

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,695
Points 1,207,500
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jun 21 2012 11:39 AM
People who work at Apple already get to refer to themselves as Geniuses ("What do I do for a living? I'm a Genius! How about you?"), and now they get the benefit of some sweet discounts on select Apple gear. It's part of an employee discount program Apple CEO Tim Cook promised back in January, and it's now in effect.

According to various sources, Apple employees receive a $500 discount on most Macs save for the Mac mini and new Retina Display MacBook Pro models (the latter of which may appear on the discount list at a later date), and $250 off iPad devices. These are reductions on top of the 25 percent discount Apple employees already receive.

As with most good things, there are some caveats. For example, you might be wondering what's to stop an employee from scooping up suitcases full of iPads at a discount and then hawking them on eBay or Craigslist. For one, the discount can only be used once every three years. Secondly, it's only available for employees who have passed the 90-day probationary period, a likely indicator that they're interested in sticking around.

In related news, Apple has also begun rolling out larger-than-normal salary increases. Whereas Apple has traditionally bumped up worker pay by 2-5 percent per year worked, reports are that new retail chief John Browett is handing out pay raises up to 25 percent, where deserved (as determined by store and individual performance).
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

That an impressive discount. Thinking of applying to be a "Genius" now lol.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Thu, Jun 21 2012 9:21 PM

Wow, those are excellent discounts!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Jun 21 2012 9:53 PM

Great deals for sure. I was thinking about getting another Mac for the wife to write with.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

That is awesome. I would love to get paid that much with those discounts and know nothing! I dont even sell macs and these idiots still send them to me.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 609
Points 4,990
RiCoFrost replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 12:03 AM

Its really so that they use the products they sell and know more about them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 12:08 AM

RiCoFrost:

Its really so that they use the products they sell and know more about them.

That could be true, but it's more likely to prevent their employees from spending their hard earned Apple money on another brand :P

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS