Prepaid Internet on the Go Service Brings MiFi To Walmart

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,775
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jun 20 2012 11:26 AM
Oftentimes, we find ourselves wishing that Wi-Fi was everywhere. Kind of like oxygen. But given that it's not going to happen any time soon, this is actually getting us closer to the goal. TruConnect Mobile has announced a partnership with Walmart that'll bring Internet on the Go to customers. It's described as a "prepaid mobile broadband service that offers a great value for casual users." The keys here are twofold: Walmart, meaning widespread accessibility, and prepaid, which puts in the hands of so many people who have no need to commit to a two-year data agreement.

The service will start by selling the MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot, as well as a service plan from TruConnect with no monthly fee. Furthermore, the data balance won't expire if you use it once per year. That's majorly different from most services, where unused megabytes are wasted at the end of the month – potentially driving up the cost. Mobile broadband data services to date have been primarily used by road warriors – those who are willing to spend $30-$60 every month to be online while on the go. Now, that's changing, and it's about time.

Customers can buy Internet on the Go service with refill, credit or debit cards in increments of $10 for 100 MB, $25 for 500 MB or $45 for 1 GB and use this bandwidth as quickly or as gradually as they want. Online automatic refills are also available for $20 for 450 MB. In addition, there are no contracts, no activation fees, no monthly bills, no bundled data plans and no overage charges. Users simply purchase the MiFi 2200 and the Internet on the Go service and achieve a secure Wi-Fi network that can be used to connect up to five laptops or tablets to the Internet.

So, still shoving aside the notion of keeping a MiFi around?
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Wed, Jun 20 2012 4:53 PM

Definitely can't see a use for this device. The price of the data plan is outrageous, and it appears that you still have to have a cellular signal from a compatible provider (e.g., Sprint) to use it. It's not even a good choice for people who live in places where broadband isn't available - most of them have lousy cell coverage, too. Sprint's coverage is poor outside of metropolitan areas.

This device is a (very expensive) solution in search of a problem.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70
Draconian replied on Thu, Jun 21 2012 2:45 AM

I agree with the poster above. $45 for 1 GB is horribly expensive. And what are you gonna do with 1 gig? Nothing you can't with your cell phone.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

For those of us that travel to the US and use the internet (skype, etc) to speak to family, friends, colleagues while abroad -- this will be immensely useful and far more affordable than cell phone roaming rates.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
GWyatt replied on Thu, Jun 21 2012 1:51 PM

I currently use Verizon for my hotspot and my usage varies from month to month, occassionaly as much as 2GB and then for most months maybe less than 200mb or even 0. I am tired of paying for data in those low months which cost me as much as 15 cents or more per mb. Perhpas this is not for the higher users but for us that already have internet at home this is GREAT.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
timgtech replied on Sat, Jul 14 2012 11:30 PM

I just got this and so far it works great. In my area I have pretty good Sprint coverage which is the backbone. It's not a bad deal really. This is ideal for the person who just needs internet on occarion while on the go. No contracts, fees, etc. and you only pay for what you use. You pay $120 for the device one time and you own it. Then you can buy 100mb for $10 ( is the least you can get). But for occasional surfing, Googling maps, or checking email that 100MB will get you a long ways. Now if you use mobile broadband as your main internet connection and use GB's a month then this obviously wouldn't be the best deal for you. But if you just need to have internet here and there when you are not at home or at work or not near a free hotspot then this is the ticket! The best thing is you can buy the router and refill cards at WalMart and use a debit card or cash. No credit card or credit checks and best of all no contracts or cancelation fees. Which means no termination fees. I know there are other pay-as-you-go plans from other providers but most of them are monthly or capped per month and at the end of the month whatever you didn't use expires. This stuff never expires as long as you use it once a year.

I give it 2 thumbs up. And I also had a minor issue which was my own fault and I got right on the support chat and the support rep was very good and got it resolved real fast. Support seems pretty good. Being its a partner deal with TruConnect they could be using their support people but it was a good experience at any rate.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
EddieW replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 8:58 AM

I got one of these, I live where the only plans for anything high-speed is wildblue or hughesnet. I like to game Xbox but these two just have a very slow latency rate and no good for gaming. With this device I play halo 4 and Black ops II about two hours a day avg. The usage is fine with a 3gb plan at 25.00. Works well!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

this thing is not good at all , i have the 45 dollar plan and they are charging me everyday whether i use it or not, i am not a satisfied customer and i will like my service improved

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS