Intel Announces MIC Xeon Phi, Aims For Exascale Computing

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,923
Points 1,118,155
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jun 18 2012 4:10 PM

Intel Announces MIC Xeon Phi For Exascale ComputingAt the International Supercomputing Conference today, Intel announced that Knights corner, the company's first commercial Many Integrated Core (MIC) product will ship commercially in 2012. The Descendent of the Processor Formerly Known as Larrabee also gets a new brand name -- Xeon Phi.

The idea behind Intel's new push is that the highly efficient Xeon E5 architecture (eight-core Sandy Bridge on 32nm) fuels the basic x86 cluster, while the Many Integrated Core CPUs that grew out of the failed Larrabee GPU offer unparalleled performance scaling and break new ground.

Sounds interesting enough doesn't it?

Intel Announces MIC Xeon Phi, Aims For Exascale Computing

• | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 252
Points 2,845

Finally, Intel did got in to make video card, PCI Express like AMD Radeon, Nidiva Geforce. I think that Intel build little different video card not for games but only for serious business like big server that built by Intel. I hope maybe one day Intel will design bit different video card for home/business in future. Or 3 Combo (Intel CPU, Intel MB, and Intel PCI Express video card will work all together that will be badass PC. I think it will be cool to see that. Dont be excited about that and we can keep eye on this in future.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 170
pandre27 replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 1:32 AM

and I thought I was the only one that reads this stuff tipsy.. what are you sippin on mike?.. LOL!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 100

I don't know what Mike there is on, but remember, people, just because it's on a gigantic PCE Express PCB and has a huge air cooler, does NOT mean it is a video card with a GPU on it specializing in rendering bitmaps in real-time using thousands of floating-point cores.

It could be another kind of processor entirely. One that obviously heats up, and requires its own communicative bus to integrate into an existing system.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 100

*PCI Express, whoa there.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
wani0702 replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 3:52 AM

Microsoft's next-generation Windows operating system "really is the name we often say" Windows 8 "? The products named there will be any new changes?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 252
Points 2,845

hey, pandre27, When i did read and looked at the picture. it look like video card to me. but other guy, nERVEcenter is right about that. it is designed for only CPU but still look as video card .. But it still cool to read about that.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,042
Points 11,385
Joel H replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 3:09 PM

Whoo boy. 

This is not a GPU. At all. 

Nvidia's Tesla cards are GPUs that've been re-purposed. They are designed with certain features (ECC RAM, DP floating point) that gamers have no practical use for. 

Knights Corners is the evolved version of Knights Ferry. Knights Ferry *began* life as a GPU. It isn't one any more. And KC won't have the video outputs, ROPs, or render back-ends you'd want to put in a GPU to make it worthwhile. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS