Corsair Makes Migrating Data Less Scary with SSD Upgrade Kit for Notebooks

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,345
Points 1,191,290
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, May 24 2012 10:14 AM
Deciding to upgrade your notebook storage to a solid state drive is the easy part. SSDs are faster than whatever mechanical hard drive you're rocking, and you can expect a performance boost in day-to-day activity, whether it's simply booting the OS or playing with programs like Photoshop. So what' the hard part? Actually migrating your OS and data over to the new drive.

It's not that it's particularly difficult, it's just time consuming and tedious. For some, it's also a little scary. Do you have all the right drivers ready to go? Have you written down all your license keys? Have you located all your saved game files, photos, and other digital bits you don't want to lose? It's a pretty big checklist, or you can roll with one of Corsair's new Force Series 3 SSD Notebook Upgrade Kits and not worry about it.

Each kit includes a USB-to-SATA cable and easy-to-use migration software for transferring over your OS, application data, and all your other digital files with little-to-no fuss.

"Laptop owners have become more aware of the performance, power efficiency, and reliability of SSDs but many have been put off by the complexity of moving their existing data," said Thi La, Vice President of Memory Products at Corsair. "The new Force Series 3 SSD Notebook Upgrade Kits simplify the data migration process, making upgrading to an SSD easier than ever."

The best part about this is that the kits are reasonably priced. Corsair set MSRPs of $140 for the 120GB model and $260 for the 240GB model.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Does this create an image?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 2,135
SmogHog replied on Thu, May 24 2012 8:19 PM

Migrating from a traditional platter hard drive to an SSD is not the best route to take.

A clean install of the OS along with the newest drivers for your hardware,newest software updates and your manufacturers utilities is the best way to go.

Often a new SSD is not recoqnized by the system so before you do anything boot your traditional hard drive in the P0 position with the SSD in the P1 on the SATA bus.

Open the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management

Right click on the SSD>initilize and quick format NTSC/4096.

Shutdown and remove the hard drive.

Put the SSD in as the Primary drive on P0.

Bootup!

Now your system will see the new SSD if it didn't when you first connected it.

Jesus saves but God backs up.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Thu, May 24 2012 11:38 PM

I agree with smoghog that its best to just do a clean install and that fact that i don't want useless files clogging up my precious SSD space :D. But for those that don't want to be handle the hassle of installing and reinstalling drivers and programs i guess this is a pretty neat path to take.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Hi,

Can you suggest me where to find that software. I have a Force SSD 240Gb, also have the cable, but without the soft is it impossible to migrate.

Tryed out Intel DMS and Acronics - not work. Hope the original from Corsair will help.

Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS