Nuance's Dragon Drive! Hopes To Reshape In-Car Voice Systems

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,835
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, May 23 2012 12:43 AM
Anyone who has spent any amount of time in a vehicle with a voice-recognition system understands how lackluster most of them are. Even fancier rides usually have pathetic voice systems. Most drivers don't even bother to use the majority of the voice features, simply because it's a real chore to remember the correct phrasing, or it doesn't understand you -- basically, it's a long way from being even half as elegant as Siri is on the iPhone 4S. But there's one company on the PC side that seems to have this game figured out: Nuance. It's the company that makes the Dragon Dictate software, and now, they're finally porting that goodness over to the automotive world. Dragon Drive! is the newest addition, offering Nuance's heralded natural language understanding platform, but in an automotive way.

It's described as "automotive-grade," and it's developed specifically for the connected car. It's reported that the system enables automotive manufacturers and suppliers to deliver eyes-free, hands-free message dictation and direct access to content, music, and navigation – all powered by the same core technologies at the heart of Nuance's successful Dragon Dictation and Dragon Go!. Dragon Drive! Messaging is the first in a series of connected services that will hit the market this summer as part of Nuance's Dragon Drive! platform. It'll act as a mobile assistant messaging experience that lets them speak, listen and respond to text messages and emails – keeping their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

Dragon Drive! Messaging is currently available in six languages including US and UK English, French, Italian, German and Spanish, but we've yet to hear of any automakers making this a part of their OEM equipment. Hopefully, 2013 and 2014 model year cars will begin to integrate it. The sooner it gets to Bentley, the sooner it'll trickle down elsewhere.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, May 24 2012 8:27 AM

Very nice, I've heard positive reviews from Dragons Nuance voice recognition software and I'm guessing this will be designed to work primarily with iOS and Android (Maybe even Windows Mobile?)

It'll be interesting to see if this will get picked up by or compete with other car manufacturers similar software like Ford Sync and other voice integration features being added to cars

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 7:58 AM

Anything that can help a driver keep from being distracted would be good. I hate the fact that these cars are coming with full on infotainment systems. People are bad enough driving with no distractions but give them a phone or a console system in the car and it's dangerous.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 55
Giane replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 6:10 AM

But that may be too good sometime :)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 11:13 AM

I just don't need all of this fancy crap in my car.

My paying a lot of money for it is not even in the realm of possibility either.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS