Hard Drive Overdrive: Corsair's Accelerator SSD Cache Reviewed

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,836
Points 1,169,890
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, May 18 2012 12:10 PM

HD Overdrive: Corsair's Accelerator SSD CacheSolid State Drives are a fabulous way to boost a system's performance, but for all their strong points, they aren't an easy upgrade for a lot of people. Performance can vary significantly between manufacturers, only the most expensive drives can replace the need for an HDD in an enthusiast / data-heavy system, and reinstalling a full suite of software from scratch is a major headache.

Corsair's Accelerator Series family of SSDs is designed to reduce the barriers to the SSD option by offering a solution that's accessible without the need to wipe your existing HDD or create a storage plan that ensures you make the best possible use of a small SSD, while leaving the bulk of your data on a rotating platter...

Hard Drive Overdrive: Corsair's Accelerator SSD Cache Reviewed

• | Post Points: 245
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,550
Inspector replied on Fri, May 18 2012 12:49 PM

So they make restrictions to benefit them but in return we get a very limited cache system? D: ... lol. Should just get an SSD :D.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,356
Points 48,595
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Fri, May 18 2012 12:53 PM

Not a limited cache system by any means. Joel was just pointing out some of the annoyances. The easy of use and not having to manage mutiple volumes manually make this an excellent upgrade for anyone looking to boost the performance of a system that's currently equipped with only hard drive.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,070
Points 11,585
Joel H replied on Fri, May 18 2012 1:28 PM

Inspector,

I absolutely disagree. Nvelo made some decisions I disagree with, and there are some limitations to the product. That doesn't change the fact that this is an excellent, excellent way to bridge the gap between HDD and SSD performance without going through the hassle of reinstalling your operating system.

As someone who has avoided an SSD upgrade precisely because of the time it would take to get everything installed and tuned again, I'm very pleased with the Accelerator Series. This isn't just a product a reviewed, it's a product I dropped into my own workflow and daily usage pattern. It's a very good upgrade.

Also? If you decide you want "just an SSD," you've already got one. You can uninstall the Nvelo software and install WIndows 7 on it just like you would any other SSD.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Fri, May 18 2012 3:48 PM

Relatively simple to setup and good increases on speed. Pretty good for a quick, no hassle upgrade which is what they were aiming for.

"I have the power!!"

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 720

I think that on page 4, the last benchmark graph has the 1TB HDD and the OCZ Vertex switched around. It says Lower is betetr and then the OCZ Vertex has the largest times, when that should be the HDD.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,356
Points 48,595
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Fri, May 18 2012 8:52 PM

Good catch. It's fixed now.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Nice review Joel. The ease of upgrading to a caching drive is amazing and I could see their point of having a keycode to download the software. But it should be just that enter a code to download the software and not have the draconian DRM that they have put in place.

50% boost average is impressive for a $90 investment.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,070
Points 11,585
Joel H replied on Sat, May 19 2012 1:14 PM

Omega,

The way they've structured the software validation scheme is annoying and, I think, ultimately ineffective. But the strongest incentive I can give is to say that while I don't like the hoop, it's worth jumping through. And the software is worth protecting, which is ironically why I invested a substantial amount of time talking about it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,573
Points 103,135
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, May 19 2012 9:27 PM

"Once installed, the Dataplex software must be uninstalled properly before the drive is removed from the system. Failure to follow this procedure can result in a loss of data. An HDD synchronized with an Accelerator cache drive may not boot properly if the cache drive is suddenly removed."

What happens if the Cache SSD fails? Do you lose your DATA?

Also: How does this compare with Intel's SSD Caching solution?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,070
Points 11,585
Joel H replied on Sat, May 19 2012 11:39 PM

Realneil,

I explored this extensively in the Data Reliability section. Please review that and let me know if you have further questions.

I'll have to review to answer your second question.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

this is interesting for a low-tech audience.

a more tech-savvy user may find limiting that this solution does not allow dual-boot and it's tied to windows.

anyway it's not necessary to reinstall windows to upgrade from HD to SSD:

you can use Parted Magic to migrate your old HD (with multiOS support) as explained here:

http://pleasedonttouchthescreen.blogspot.it/2012/05/replacing-mechanical-hd-with-ssd.html

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,070
Points 11,585
Joel H replied on Sun, May 20 2012 12:17 PM

I'm extremely tech-savvy. Being tied to Windows (the only OS capable of addressing my various usage needs) is not limiting.

Yes, there are ways to migrate an OS from one HDD to another. You've missed the larger point. I have a 1TB HDD with ~700GB of it in use. If I move to an SSD, I have to do an awful lot of program uninstallation in order to cut the total program size down to something that would fit on the new drive. I definitely would have to uninstall and reinstall quite a few programs in order to move them to a different disk That's just another headache.

The central problem here is that "Reinstalling the OS" is actually the easiest part of migrating an installation. Even Windows updates, which can take longer than the actual OS installation, are a pretty simple task these days. Getting everything *else* put together is the headache.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Sun, May 20 2012 9:39 PM

I dont like the fact that i cant change more than one of my systems components without having the software think its in a different system. Granted that not many people change their ethernet card nowadays, it just seems wrong to include this kind of protection on a PC.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,070
Points 11,585
Joel H replied on Tue, May 22 2012 10:58 AM

Karanm, 

I've swapped out the video card in this system multiple times since I put the Cache Drive in. That's the only component I've changed, but it hasn't batted an eye at any point.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Tue, May 22 2012 9:30 PM

"Dataplex uses various components to identify a PC (memory, OS, CPU Id, BIOS, Ethernet card); if two or more components change, it is considered a different machine."

Video Cards isn't mentioned in the list so maybe that's why you had no problems Joel and that is a good thing because video cards are changed in gaming rigs quite often. CPU's are also upgraded often and along with a CPU upgrade most people might do a ram upgrade as well. That is when I suspect the problem will start, changing the CPU and RAM might cause the drive to believe its in a new system (I'm just getting this from your article, just adding more ram as most people do might not cause a problem). There are so many options for caching at this point that making a drive with over the edge security features seems to me like shooting yourself in the foot. However if this drive is faster that Intel's caching solution then it might have a market.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
geff169 replied on Sun, Jun 24 2012 8:49 AM

bought one.got sata3 drive and board.amd.will it work.im not shore

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
paulrus replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 6:40 AM

I realize this is an older article, but just a heads-up for anyone moving to Windows 8. I have a cache drive that uses Dataplex. Currently support for Windows 8 is shaky at best. Meaning, I've had to totally reinstall my OS 3 times so far due to crashes that corrupted the permissions of my registry (making my system unable to install or uninstall any software).

These drives are great when they work, but be prepared to have to start over entirely if there's a problem.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
rhflyer replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 5:12 PM

After running well for several weeks with the 60GB Accelerator, I loaded the latest version of DataPlex v1.2.0.4 . It ran initially then there was a dirty shutdown (no obvious reason) . Unable to boot after hours of trying various recovery methods. Luckily I had an external drive with WD Smartware. That wasn't as eloquent a back up option as I thought but it did save all my records. To get going loaded Windows 7 on the 60GB Accelerator and put in a new HHD to recover the Smartware data. Note: Windows won't accept the product code from the old configuration. Running a 30 day trial now while I migrate to a new machine. The vulnerability of this happening makes this cashing method too risky.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS