AMD Trinity A10-4600M Processor Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,856
Points 1,115,475
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, May 15 2012 12:29 AM
AMD's second-generation Bulldozer core processor microarchitecture, codenamed Piledriver, has made headlines at HotHardware many times in the past few months, including our CES sneak peek of the chip that AMD is launching today for the mobile market, codenamed Trinity.  What this launch is all about is AMD's answer to Intel's Ivy Bridge-based Core series processors for notebooks.  It's that straightforward, though we'll start by level-setting expectations based on how both companies and their respective architectures approach computing workloads.

For AMD, Trinity has also been reported as offering much-needed performance enhancements in IPC (Instructions Per Cycle) but also more of the same strength in gaming and multimedia horsepower, with an enhanced second generation Radeon HD graphics engine. 

In the pages ahead, we'll dive into AMD's new Trinity architecture and AMD's new A10 series APU, along with lots of benchmark data looking at the results of AMD's recent efforts from a number of angles.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

Great on the graphics cores and the power they were able to get our of a 35W processors... I hope the price is competitive for AMD's sake. It would be neat to see them rule the "Ultrabook" market that Intel started.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,038
Points 11,350
Joel H replied on Tue, May 15 2012 5:19 PM

They won't rule it, but they might be able to offer a low-cost alternative. Ultrabooks are a way for Intel to keep margins and "sexyness" around the laptop / PC concept. AMD offers parts at a much lower cost, which will give OEMs more leeway to offer ultrabook-style systems (dubbed ultra-thin) at much lower price points.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Tue, May 15 2012 8:27 PM

Once again AMD blows intel out of the water in the graphics department but trails them in the cpu. A little disappointed to see them barely hold their own against Sandy bridge but the low power makes Trinity an excellent choice for ultrathins like joel said. After reading this review I would pick up a Trinity powered laptop in a hearbeat at the right price point.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,430
Points 102,120
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, May 15 2012 8:36 PM

Will there be offerings from AMD that add a discrete Radeon GPU for Hybrid Crossfire like we've seen in Desktop APU systems?

Doing such a thing might make a healthy difference to performance figures.

My A8 APU desktop does enjoy a nice boost in performance with Hybrid Crossfire enabled.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 30
snakefist replied on Mon, May 21 2012 7:25 PM

does video encoding matters so much for ultrabooks that it deserve special "NOT"? this test is more suitable for more powerful desktop CPUs, not ones limited to 35W...

pity that once again the highest priced model is tested first... probably would be interesting to see a cheaper solution, which doesn't really has to worry about being close to i5, cause it's price range isn't close to i5 as well - many people consider price over performance in this segment, and 100+$ difference means the definitive decision for them

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 80
FTian replied on Sun, Jun 3 2012 11:31 PM

great for bioinfometrics (future reference) - when rendering 100 - 500 particles - the AMD core system (384cores/500mHz, 4 core, 35 watts) *10 systems - head node; server node; 8 system(body render) nodes + 7750(9 graphic card) + 7770 graphic card.

there will be approximately 56%+ increase in graphic performance from 2nd generation AMD systems.

there will be approximately 30%+ computing performance from the 2nd generation AMD systems.

The i5 processor is mainstream (the retail clueless people will follow this trend), and the AMD processor is faster in graphics than i5. The graphics in bioinfometrics - is crucial on data collection, and the time for the protiens to render is shortened by the AMD 7000s series graphics system. The i5 takes longer to render, and drains more power to compansate for the dual graphic formation of the AMD A8 (future to be A10) with 6550 (future to be 7750)

AMD is short-hand if it is single processor. AMD is long handed if it is multiple processor... Why AMD does not release a dual processor board for AMD processors + quad GPU (800 watts/3.5teraflops (that is 3.5 x 10e12)

AMD has more potiential in the mainstream market for low power consumption. Intel is overestimated by people, they need to release more eyecatching items; 12 threads instead of 8 threads, $150 i5 processors (2.0Ghz, 4 threads, HT) rather than to overprice with their labels and misled people. AMD is modest.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
AMichael replied on Thu, Jun 21 2012 2:42 PM

The fact of the matter is, with an intel-based laptop you MUST add an nVidia Graphics GPU in order to keep up with the A10 in gaming. This makes intels more expensive AND power-hungry. Gamers that can afford to splurge on a nice Gaming rig wil almost always go for the intel/nVidia selection, I don't see why but they do. For me, the very mention of an A10 processor makes me weak in the knees. I know it's lame, but really the only 2 games I play are World of Warcraft and Guild Wars, which will both scream on most AMD machines. The thought of seeing the A10 in action while I play either of these is a thought that makes me all gooey inside. Don't get me wrong, I like intel and nVidia, the best computer I have built so far had them in it, but as for portable gaming, I will always choose AMD. I just hope that Toshiba put them in the Satellites in August so I can buy from them, otherwise, it looks like I'll be going with a dv6 from HP.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS