PC Gaming Market Alive and Thriving as Related Hardware Business Tops $23 Billion

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,805
Points 1,164,530
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, May 3 2012 10:37 AM
Some people would have you believe that PC gaming is all but dead, nothing more than a decrepit reminder of the early days of videogames, and one that's on life support as publishers and developers switch their focus to dedicated consoles and mobile platforms. They are, of course, dead wrong. So wrong, in fact, that Jon Peddie Research (JPR) saw fit to announce that the PC gaming hardware market is on pace to hit $23.6 billion in 2012, which is hardly the sign of a dying sector.

"We are witnessing the market morph and grow into different areas. This has always been a strong point of PC gaming; the ability to adapt to different entertainment environments and requirements. The hobbyist aspect of the DIY market is driving billions in component sales and small form factor rigs are being hooked up to HDTVs, essentially being used as "super consoles," explains Ted Pollak, Senior Gaming Analyst for JPR.

Game consoles have nothing on PC gaming setups like this one.

JPR estimates that there are 54 million performance and enthusiast class PC gamers spread out around the globe. New entrants and console converts are expected to drive that figure to 72 million by 2015 as the PC gaming hardware market approaches $32 million.

"The recession is winding down and the enthusiast and performance class PC gamers (those who spend over $1000 on equipment) have spoken...with their wallets," JPR proclaims. "With chips from AMD, Intel, and Nvidia, new machines from Alienware, HP, Lenovo and others, components and accessories from companies like Asus, EVGA, Corsair, Logitech, and MadCatz, and new games in the pipe like Far Cry 3, BioShock Infinite, Crysis 3, ARMA 3, rFactor 2, and Interstellar Marines, the financial engine of the world's most elite gaming platform is fully fueled and will drive the global market to $32 billion by 2015."

Amen to that, and viva la PC gaming!
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Thu, May 3 2012 4:27 PM

Got a PS3 and a decent gaming computer, haven't touched the PS3 in months but been playing Dragon Age for the past two weeks, Mass Effect 2 before that, Battlefield 3 before that and you get the idea. Anybody on this site would sell their own mother for that rig except as I commented in the other article with the same pic whats with the air cooling for the processor?? With dual gtx 690s the cpu better be overclocked otherwise its a complete waste to have two of those beasts in there. I know you can overclock with decent air flow but seriously if you are going to have those TWO 690s in there you're not going for a few mhz of oc'ing you're going for a few ghz and that means liquid cooling.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Guess what a Phantek air cooler beats all of the self-contained liquid coolers in every test I have seen... So Air can be better then a liquid cooler :)

I agree the PC gaming market is heating up again. I have a Wii and a PS3 and neither has been even plugged in for several months.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Thu, May 3 2012 8:14 PM

Seriously?? I have a hard time believing you but I know Phantek has some good designs for their heatsinks and their fans are silent yet powerful as well. I haven't seen any benchmarks or tests on them but I wouldn't be surprised if they do beat some of the self contained liquid coolers. Either way I would go with liquid cooling to keep the noise down as well.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,817
Points 45,650
rapid1 replied on Fri, May 4 2012 10:22 AM

I installed a liquid CPU cooler for a customer 2 weeks ago now and I must say it did a great job. It was a Corsair H80 unit with dual fans. The thing that struck me about it really is the stability. With air cooling you have a variable range of temperature which of course being in the CPU directly attached to the board affects the whole system. When we liquid cooled it with the H80 (he was having heat issues in general and his system was constantly resetting after a short amount of time and he wanted to try this) the temperature went almost immediately to a 20 degree decreased level and stayed there at a flat temperature period. I am sure it has decreased a bit more since I put it in as the heat compound settled in on the processor probably to a few degrees cooler.

I really did not totally get that (the stable temperature) when I looked at liquid cooling solutions prior to that for some reason. Of course that is cooling and not on this articles subject but more on you guys remarks on system cooling.

As far as PC gaming goes I do not see it weakening to any sense. The thing is there is much more to it than the simple definition for many people involved in it in general. "We" and this is specifically a lot of people on this forum as well as on many other forums with the same relative type of content are a big part of it. Do console gamer's do what do with a system, do the even have the options of a PC gamer in any way. I would say no really. Yes you can go inside a console and I have done so to repair things for both Microsoft and SONY for warranted or on site repairs.

The fact is though that those options are much lower as the board on a console is generally very few in models and therefore limited in options and the casing or housing in general is uniform to a console system.

Therefore PC gaming will never die as far as I see it because of all the external activity to it. I open up my PC often and maintain it internally. I can change any component in it from the power button, to the GPU, the CPU, the cooling, the housing etc etc and I have 1000 options. Even in the small market of users who customize consoles those options are very small compared. SO in the end PC gaming contains a lot more as a market.

PC gaming also has conferences almost anywhere in every month in the US and the world. Console gaming has conferences for the release of games. The specialty hardware ones for conferences if they exist which I am sure they do are very few and far between. So the world of PC gaming is much more than just the games themselves it is a relative and communal market as well and a large one as well.

I personally have not owned a console since the Sega/Nintendo heyday. I am sure that is nowhere near true for many as I am sure many of you have consoles. The only reason one would be appropriate in my house is because it play blue rays and I would get other uses from it. The thing is I can just buy a Blue ray drive for my PC now for 50 dollars and probably one the writes as well as reads!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS