Panasonic Reveals Detection Technology To Keep Humans Safe

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,190
Points 1,186,185
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Apr 29 2012 12:42 AM
Some days, technology comes in the form of a new MP3 player or new GPU.  But new technologies  might not always be directly related to a consumer product, but still have the potential to make a serious impact in our every day world. Panasonic has this week introduced an advanced radar technology for next-generation traffic safety systems that enables to detect humans and vehicles in a range of several tens of meters. This millimeter-wave radar technology allows for detecting objects outdoors in poor visibility conditions, such as night, rain and snow, as well as against the sunlight. When applied in traffic surveillance sensors located at intersections, this technology will help increase automotive safety by detecting pedestrians and bicycles hidden in the driver's blind spots.

In other words, it's a technology designed to save lives, and it's certainly worth paying attention to. Here's a bit about the new tech direct from Panasonic:
"As accidents at intersections account for about a half of all traffic fatalities, preventive measures are required to avoid collisions there involving cars, pedestrians and cyclists. Panasonic's new radar technology enables traffic monitoring sensors at intersections to detect pedestrians and bicycles up to 40 meters ahead even at nighttime and under bad weather conditions that hinder the driver's visibility. By alerting the driver of the presence of pedestrians in the crosswalk or bicycles in blind spots, this technology helps to reduce the driver's burden and traffic accidents.

Panasonic's new automotive radar technology has overcome the difficulties with conventional millimeter-wave radar technologies; the advanced radar technology is capable of detecting humans and cars simultaneously in spite of the fact that human body reflects extremely weak radar signals compared with car body. This innovative radar technology has also achieved high detection performance with a range resolution of less than 50cm and an angular resolution of 5 degrees, which enables to detect pedestrians and vehicles. Furthermore, unlike optical and infrared cameras and laser sensors, whose detection performance can be significantly affected by visibility conditions, this new radar technology will not be subject to such conditions as nighttime, rain, snow or dense fog."
A new iPad it's not, but it's just as impressive. Here's hoping for even more game-changing technologies to keep watch over us.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 940
ZTimpson replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 10:24 AM

This is very cool. I hope this will prevent alot more accidents in intersections.

How will this new radar tell me about the pedestrian? will the radar have its own special little light now at intersections??

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645
omegadraco replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 12:18 PM

This is exactly the type of technology that cars need. Sensor nets are what will allow cars to safely be autonomous and are a step in the right direction.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 940
ZTimpson replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 1:19 PM

@omegadraco, my thoughts exactly when i first saw the headline of this article. I thought Samsung had intergrated this radar into the car to detect humans and vehicles. I thought would be really cool escpecially for reverse mode for those with kids around.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 4:22 PM

Well several divisions of manufacturers are testing auto pilot methods right now Cadillac being the first that comes to mind. Either way with a usage like that widening the detection field like this in a circle of and area of the vehicle is very smart.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS