Wolfram Alpha Dishes Out A Desktop Application For $2.99

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,896
Points 1,174,490
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Apr 28 2012 12:29 AM
The Internet is a big, wide place. It's dark, damp, light, enlightening -- it's all of those things. But it's also difficult to wade through, even with something like Google at our disposal. Wolfram Alpha has been cutting through the noise for some time now, and this week they announced a partnership with Intel to bring all Wolfram mobile applications, including the Wolfram Alpha App, to Ultrabooks. The deal involves the AppUp center, and it's the first foray into the desktop app world for the company. The release states that the app boasts an an optimized user interface that takes advantage of the full PC screen, while also featuring a specialized keyboard, easy resizing of results, and extended copy and paste of query results and graphics.

Students and professionals use Wolfram Alpha in a variety of subject areas. Students can enter their specific homework problems and get immediate answers, including a "Show steps" feature for math-related queries. Later this year, Wolfram Alpha will release its series of Course Assistant Apps through the AppUp center in subjects such as calculus, astronomy, physics, and chemistry.

Other specialized Wolfram|Alpha-powered apps include resources for professionals and in-depth reference materials in a vast array of subject areas. To see a preview of what apps will be available on the store this year, please view the complete collection of Wolfram Alpha-powered apps here. As with other Alphas, nothing's free; it'll be $2.99 for those interested.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,784
Points 40,585
Inspector replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 12:56 AM

Neat, but im good with using the web version. only use it on occasions where im like totally stumped... Really is a handy tool to use though :P

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 1:16 AM

i have never used this before, or even heard of it for that matter. What type of calculus does it do?

You might tel yourself that there is only one calculus but your wrong. My teacher took calculus in the early 60's at the Uof U and his teacher wrote his own text book. get on google and find when calculators were invented. we use the same textbook and calculators are strictly banned. Well since every guide and or tutoring manual was made post 60's i have no help of reference for calculus.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 940
ZTimpson replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 4:39 PM

hahahaha Alan, you might want to just get a new teacher;)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 940
ZTimpson replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 4:41 PM

like Alan i have never used this before. how helpful is it? sounds cool. anyone got good or bad reviews?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 7:20 PM

You might have a point but hey my brain is as a good as a calculator now........ maybe not as fast.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS