EVGA Announces Availability of GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature Edition Graphics Card

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,205
Points 1,186,890
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Apr 14 2012 11:22 AM
As you wade through the available Kepler cards trying to decide which one to get, EVGA hopes to sway your decision with its new GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature and Singature+ w/ Backplate edition graphics cards. These sleek and sexy looking cards boast higher base and boost clockspeeds, overclocked memory, and 5 Phase PWM board designs with 8-pin + 6-pin power connectors that EVGA claims are optimized for further overclocking.

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature

EVGA goosed the base GPU clock to 1084MHz and boost clock to 1150MHz on these cards, up from 1006MHz (base) and 1058MHz (boost) on NVIDIA's reference blueprint, and cranked the the 2GB of GDDR5 memory to 6208MHz (effective), up from 6008MHz on reference cards. As a result, memory bandwidth is increased to 198.66GB/s, compared to 192.2GB/s. The upshot to having higher memory bandwidth is being better equipped to handle large textures and things like anti-aliasing (AA) and anisotropic filtering (AF).

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature+ w/ Backplate

EVGA priced the GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature edition at $530 MSRP, or for an extra $20 ($550 MSRP), the Signature+ model comes with a backplate pre-installed for additional cooling prowess. Both cards are backed by a 3-year limited warranty, which can be transferred to subsequent owners via EVGA's recently announced Global Warranty policy.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 4:03 PM

I'm guessing the new suped-up warranty is their way of saying they've improved their quality control? I had such a bad experience with EVGA once that I will gladly pay $20 more for a PNY card with the exact same specs.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

i havent had a problem yet with one of their cards

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,599
Points 54,995
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 7:06 PM

That's HOT. We need to get one in for review.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,659
Points 104,155
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 7:59 PM

Wasn't it just a few years ago that buying an EVGA Card got you a lifetime warranty?

Still love to own a few of these monsters.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Motaba replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 9:03 AM

I always love the "I had a bad card once" line. Every mfg. you are going to have a bad card and go to a different mfg? The logic there is just bad, you'd have to a) make sure you didn't shock the thing putting it in, or b) have at least 2 of their products go bad to make a judgement against a company. Even at two you're still not being fair, they all go bad at some point some time. Buy 10 of any brand and one will be bad out of the box, two more will be bad in 90 days, the rest will be "magical" and last five years which who would want a five year old video card anyways? Just saying, be fair. :) EVGA has always been good in my book.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 6:15 PM

>> I always love the "I had a bad card once" line.

Yes, but what if it turns out that your problem is not unique and there are dozens and dozens of people reporting the same problem yet there's no product recall. And, on top of that: The manufacturer was doing RMAs and sending out defective cards with the exact same problem as the replacement? THAT was my experience with EVGA.  Even after it was apparent that they had produced a bad batch of cards, they mishandled the situation.

I had the option of sending back my defective 9600GT and potentially receiving a defective replacement, as others had reported... or buying another manufacturer's card (I think I went with an Asus) and then relating my experience on message boards again and again over the years until such point that EVGA had to change their warranty and improve their QA.  (That's how I like to picture it happened)  :p

Also, if 3 out of 10 video cards you buy are bad, you're either buying the wrong brands or using refurbs.  The one EVGA I bought is the only defective video card I've ever had in 20 years of building PCs for myself, friends, and family.  Usually, I'd cut a company slack for one bad experience, but the extenuating circumstances outlined in the first paragraph put them on my forever-avoid list.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 184
Points 1,710
lipe123 replied on Wed, May 9 2012 2:07 PM

You know I had a bad 8600Gt from EVGA (mine just completely burned out) that I purchased in another country. I created a RMA, sent the card in and got a new one a few days later.

If all else fails just forcibly short out something and ram the card, it always works :P

Anyway I'm disappointed with the 3y warranty thing, a 680 should last more than 3 years. At least a 5 year warranty sounds more like it. Despite that I think EVGA is one of the top manufacturers out there at the moment.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Wed, May 9 2012 7:12 PM

When it comes to gpu makers i personally love sapphire the most,however, since they only make ATI cards I look at asus or xfx when it comes to nvidia chips. I have only used one asus card,but my experience with their motherboards and other products has made me a fan of them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,659
Points 104,155
MembershipAdministrator

My GTX285 2GB EVGA card is still going strong. It came with a lifetime warranty though. (that's why I asked about the length of warranty in an earlier post)

Zotac is ~my~ brand to avoid. They put it to me once, and I've been putting it back to them ever since.   Big Smile   

Spending a lot of money on something that doesn't work and then being jerked around when you try to get it fixed is no picnic. I can see where one could get a serious case of the a*s*s over it too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS