Microsoft Starts Two Year Countdown to End of Support for Windows XP

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,861
Points 1,171,750
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Apr 10 2012 10:55 AM
It may seem silly to start the countdown to the end of support for Windows XP (and Office 2003) a full two years in advance, but given that there are still home consumers and businesses still clinging to the decade old OS, perhaps the early warning is entirely appropriate. Particularly for IT departments, starting the upgrade cycle now ensures a better shot at the migration going smoothly.

"If you still have some PCs running Windows XP and Office 2003 in your organization, now would be a good time to start migrating them to Windows 7 and Office 2010," Microsoft stated in a blog post.

The other option is to wait until Windows 8 and the next version of Office, though Microsoft recommends against taking this approach.

"Not only is it important for companies to complete deployment before support runs out, but they should also be aware that by upgrading to Windows 7 and Office 2010 today they can gain substantial results today while laying the foundation for future versions of these products," Microsoft added.

It's been a remarkable run for Windows XP, which to this day is the most popular desktop operating system on the market. That won't always be the case, and on April 8, 2014, Microsoft will stop supporting the legacy OS entirely. It's also worth mentioning that mainstream support for Vista ends today, though extended support through 2017 means Microsoft will still roll out security updates for several more years.

Are you still using XP?
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 415
Points 5,315
FreeJet replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 6:40 PM

Hey Microsoft !! I got your system upgrade, RIGHT HERE. You can remove Windows XP Pro SP3 from my cold, dead computer hard drive. How's that for drama, huh? Alright, the truth is I'm still too lazy to buy a copy of Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit OEM for $140 at Newegg and re-install all my stuff. Are you happy now? If you're happy and you know it, clap your hand.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 12:52 PM

>> "If you still have some PCs running Windows XP and Office 2003 in your organization, now would be a good time to start migrating them to Windows 7 and Office 2010," Microsoft stated in a blog post.

Or, switch to a more secure and less expensive alternative - like Russia and Iceland are doing.  I really don't understand why private companies and governments would run an OS whose only outstanding software categories are games and malware.

Munich went from 1,500 Windows PCs to 9,500 Linux systems, increasing their number of machines by more than 6 times, and the number of monthly complaints their IT got *dropped* from 70 to 46.  http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/public-sector/3348475/munich-mayor-says-switch-to-linux-is-much-cheaper-and-has-reduced-complaints/

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS