For 4/1, The Linux Action Show became The Windows Action Show

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 Posted: Fri, Apr 6 2012 3:23 PM

I thought this was pretty funny:  The Linux loving geeks over at LAS put on an entirely pro-Windows show for April Fools.

They even did a "say nothing without positive spin" run-through of the Windows 8 consumer preview, which turne out pretty hilarious considering it crashed 3 times, wouldn't run solitaire, and imported some other person's data when they signed in via their Windows Live ID.

http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/18491/windows-8-preview-was-s21e03/

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Apr 6 2012 8:03 PM

My favorite part is when, about 36 minutes in, they talk about how no one (including the "lin-yucks camp") have been trying anything new with the UI (like copying a phone)- when the uproar/controversy in the Linux community for the past year has been centered around the Unity vs. Gnome 3 vs. Gnome 2 vs. KDE vs XFCE vs. LXDE vs. xmonad vs. other desktop paradigms.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

3vi1:

My favorite part is when, about 36 minutes in, they talk about how no one (including the "lin-yucks camp") have been trying anything new with the UI (like copying a phone)- when the uproar/controversy in the Linux community for the past year has been centered around the Unity vs. Gnome 3 vs. Gnome 2 vs. KDE vs XFCE vs. LXDE vs. xmonad vs. other desktop paradigms.

Unity Tongue Tied

I personally have been really liking Mint Linux's Cinnamon a good deal. 

Also Rofl at the podcast. You can see the guys trying not to crack the *** up talking about that stuff. I tried Windows 8 preview and oh god. I hated it. I'll try another version when it's a bit more cooked, but they seemed to just hide anything advanced so things that used to take me 3 clicks now take 15.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 10:53 AM

I actually like Unity now; It's made great improvements during the 12.04 alpha/beta cycle (much faster/stable).  But, I guess I still don't truly use it the way they intended:  I set the launcher bar to auto-hide and I use cairo-dock instead.  This gives me a nice Mac-looking launcher that I can freely reposition to my liking, and lets me keep the nice Unity notification area and identity integration (IM/email/etc.) features that I miss every time I peek at Gnome3's progress.

The scariest thing to me about the Win8 preview was the way they're migrating all of the system apps to use that idiotic ribbon interface.  That thing has been the bane of my existence in MS Office for the last year, as I still find myself constantly switching tabs and scanning their entire contents for things that were way more easily located via logical position in the old menus.  The upside appears to be that it's now easier for new users to jump in and uglify their docs by over-applying the ever-present  and largely overvalued styling features.

I truthfully think that there must have been some small consideration in the ribbon's design as to how much more money MS could make on training people to be productive again.  I was even so intrigued by the question of how such a bad design makes it into production that I watched Jensen Harris's video about their creative process TWICE (though I had to go through pains to download the 700MB+ version since some genius decided it was a good idea to post it as DRM-encumbered Silverlight that won't play on anything but Windows or Mac).  Even after watching that video TWICE, it still seems that the overall design was 11th hour output of random spit-balling - a design that sounded great on paper but works poorly in practice.  It's odd how wonderfully scientific their process of verification was, yet either the validation feedback was missing or biased by testers unafraid to be critical of the devs who were giving them free software.

• Filed under:
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah for some odd reason we got upgraded to a newer version of office with the ribbon at work so now I have to use it every day. I miss my print button the most. Just click the button and it prints. Why is that not a button on the ribbon.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 3:37 PM

I think you can add it to the quick-access toolbar.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS