Electronic Arts Unfazed by Being Voted 'Worst Company in America'

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,209,875
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 5 2012 10:33 AM
Which company do you loathe more to do business with, Electronic Arts or Bank of America? They're two very different operations, but nevertheless, both companies advanced to a 'championship' round of sorts in an annual poll by The Consumerist to determine the Worst Company in America. When the dust settled from more than 250,000 votes, Electronic Arts emerged victorious, if you want to call it that, winning the comically titled '2012 Golden Poo' award (we're guessing it doesn't smell like roses).

"To those who might sneer at something as 'non-essential' as a video game company winning the Worst Company In America vote: It's that exact kind of attitude that allows people to ignore the complaints as companies like EA to nickel and dime consumers to death," The Consumerist offered up in a post-vote analysis.

Interestingly enough, this is the second year in a row that Bank of America has advanced to the final round, and it's EA's first time in the unflattering spotlight. So, what does EA think about all this? In a word, 'meh'. Or in more words:

"We're sure that British Petroleum, AIG, Philip Morris, and Halliburton are all relieved they weren't nominated this year. We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide," EA Senior Director of Corporate Communications, John Reseburg, told Kotaku in a statement.

Oh snap! And on that note, which company do you think is deserving of the title, Worst Company in America?
  • | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

EA's draconian DRM methods earned them this award. First, they implement a computer crashing version of Sony DADC's SecuROM in the PC game Spore, which lead to The Pirate Bay's Boston Tea Party style protest of the Spore SecuROM DRM. A SecuROM free version of Spore was the number 1 downloaded PC game on The Pirate Bay for 12 weeks. Now, EA wants to implement "phone home" DRM, which makes you have to have an internet connection at all times if you want to play the game. If I want to play a game on a 6 hour cross country flight, I will have to pay the $13.95 fee to access the plane's in flight wi-fi internet access or it won't work. Screw EA!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 44
Points 550
BMAN replied on Fri, Apr 6 2012 2:23 AM

Agreed; heaven forbid that your account ever get hacked, mine did back in January of this year. Because of this crap hacker; not only can I not re-install BF3 (bored with my other games for the moment), but now I have to endure not just hours of EA's Support Program...but days!

And don't get started on EA's version of "Steam"; why anyone would think that making a AAA game(s) within a browser would be a "good" thing, is beyond me.

system specs

Intel i5 3570***, ASUS Sabertooth Z77, Corsair AX850, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3, Corsair Force 3 Series GT  SSD (120GB), WD VelociRaptor (300GB), water-cooled HIS Radeon HD7950, AZZA Genesis 9000, EKWB Supremacy CQ CPU block, XSPC RX360, EKWB-DCP 4.0 pump, Windows 7 H.P. - 64 bit

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Apr 6 2012 2:51 PM

I'm surprised, I have not had a bad experience with EA; of course I have heard of other people but still... The downloadable content thing they had with BF3 is inexcusable though, I mean it caused mass confusion, mass anger and gave the perception that those who bought the game early would be given an unfair advantage; I still remember the anger to this day.

@superbenA2002 Phone Home DRM is nothing new, remember Ubisoft. They did the same thing EA was going to do on all of their games and the result, people were pissed. I don't know if Ubisoft is still doing it or not but if Ubisoft's system is still working then it makes sense EA would want to try it, doesn't mean that EA innovated the thing though; just trying to prevent piracy I guess.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS