Netflix Picks Up DVD.com, Hints Of Qwikster Linger

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,485
Points 1,196,280
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Mar 31 2012 11:24 AM
Is Qwikster on the rebound? Perhaps. Netflix killed the short-lived Qwikster after an uproar from customers about the splitting of DVD and Internet queues, but it's obvious that Netflix still believes that the future is one with a split. Or, perhaps the future is one where DVD rentals are simply inconsequential. The latest resurfacing of plans involves Netflix's purchase of DVD.com, a move that many are saying was made to further blur the lines between offerings. Right now, it redirects to dvd.netflix.com, but some users are already reporting that queues are being treated differently. In other words, Internet-only subscribers can't see DVD queues, and vice-versa.

At this stage, DVD rentals are still a major part of the Netflix business, and it isn't likely to change for some time. But in the long run, it will change. DVDs will fade and streaming will replace it, and while we aren't near that place yet, Netflix is clearly eying the future. So, perhaps DVD.com is a long-term plan to introduce Qwikster without having that funky name turn anyone off.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 5:38 PM

Well it's obvious. Netflix feels like the money is in internet streaming since downloads speeds are quickly increasing and more and more people are able to get plans that makes streaming manageable but the only problem is that there are a lot of users who use Netflix for DVD rentals and despite the DVD being a diminishing market for Netflix, Netflix can't do anything to upset those users like splitting them up like they planned to do with Quikster. More likely they'll try to find a way to make the split reasonable while still maintaining some common link towards tome to satisfy customers; whether it be the decline of DVD sales or a full blown conversion to internet content is unknown but one thing is known, Netflix wants to make this switch; it just can't.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 8:05 PM

I can't afford the extra money for additional bandwidth that streaming movies would require. I like getting my three DVD's at a time and returning them when I'm done with them. If they cancel the DVD rental side of Netflix, they'll have to do without my tuppence from that point on.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 510

I personally think there are array of problems that cause streaming only not to be smart. Example internet company's put hardware in anticipating x amount of subscribers and within the last ten years have more than quadrupled and users usage also quadrupled. Instead of being happy with making money hand over fist and just upgrading hardware they put intense caps and throttle speeds.

Also the mentality of paying cash for a digital item is still less than desirable for some. Example friend who plays pc games can buy most games 25% to 50% off on steam still goes to the store and buys a copy that he can touch.

And last but not least streaming que is fairly limited if you have alot of free time and been a subscriber really the only new stuff is the dvd que. (while they do update its normally only once every couple months that anything worthwhile shows up so why pay monthly)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS