Rumor: Co-branded Google/ASUS 7-Inch Tablet Coming in May?

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,195
Points 1,186,435
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Mar 9 2012 2:45 PM
According to a report from Digitimes, industry sources have indicated that a co-branded Google and ASUS tablet may be coming to the U.S. as early as May.

The tablet reportedly would be a 7-inch model and cost between $199-$249, and would also feature the Google Play Store. This is in line with earlier rumors that have the tablet pegged as sporting a quad-core Tegra 3 chip and shipping with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, like the one NVIDIA and ASUS teased at CES.

A low-cost 7-inch tablet with media (i.e., Google Play’s apps, music, books, and movies) as a central focus would compete well with the Amazon Kindle Fire. Depending on the rumored tablet’s hardware specs, OS, and other features, it will also help to pull in more consumers eager for a tablet without the high price tag.

The rumored tablet might look a little something like this one (Image credit: TechCrunch)

According to the report, Google considered partnering with HTC and Acer, but the former wasn’t interested in a low-end device and the latter would simply be unable to pull it off. Thus, ASUS won the Google tablet sweepstakes.

This tablet could turn out to be inexpensive because it’s just not very good, or, like Kindle Fire, it could be a great deal because although it may not be as full-featured as a pricier tablet, it does what it does well. Or perhaps ASUS figured out how to make a solid tablet that it can sell for half what the competition charges.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 9:14 PM

Well... An ASUS/Google branded tablet does sound entertaining but for it to compete with the already good Kindle Fire it needs something special. More performance?, certain experience I can't get on the Kindle Fire? Whatever the case, I don't see myself buying one of these in the near future if it can't offer something over the Kindle Fire.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 5:38 AM

Obviously, we're going to need a full-scale review when and if this tablet is released. But a quad-core Tegra 3 chip and Ice Cream Sandwich do sound like sufficiently significant improvements over the current version of Kindle Fire to make this tablet interesting....

Henri

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS