At Long Last, Windows 8 Consumer Preview is Available to Download

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,171
Points 1,185,750
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Feb 29 2012 11:02 AM
Great news if you're a Windows fan. Microsoft has just made available the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, which you can download right this very second. Included in the Consumer Preview is the much ballyhooed Metro UI along with scores of changes -- over 100,000 -- Microsoft made to the OS since releasing the Developer Preview.

The download is available in English, Chinese (Simplified), French, German, and Japanese, each of which comes in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors. System requirements are as follows:
  • Processor: 1GHz or faster
  • RAM: 1GB (32-bit) or 2GB (64-bit)
  • Hard disk space: 16GB (32-bit) or 20GB (64-bit)
  • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 capable or or higher
  • 1024x768 minimum screen resolution

You'll also need a multi-touch monitor if you plan to go tap-crazy on your desktop and use the built-in touch technology. There are some other things you should keep in mind.

"However, there are some additional requirements to take into consideration in order to use certain features in Windows 8. In order to use the Snap feature, you will need a PC with a 1366x768 resolution or higher," Microsoft said in a blog post. "If you want to use touch, you’ll need a multitouch-capable laptop, tablet, or display. Windows 8 supports up to five simultaneous touch points, so if your hardware doesn’t, you may find typing on the onscreen keyboard and using certain controls more of a challenge. You’ll also need an Internet connection to try out the Windows Store, to download and install apps, and to take your settings and files with you from one Windows 8 PC to another."

You should also be aware that this is beta software, which could require a bit of troubleshooting and possibly getting your hands dirty to get things to work properly. If you're okay with that, you can download the Consumer Preview here, and be sure to share your impressions with us in the comments section below!
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 4:07 PM

So the almost final version of Windows 8 is upon us. It does look interesting but I don't have any interest in testing it out; it does look to be a good version of Windows though.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 360

I'm going to agree with you Taylor. I remember when I got my hands on windows 7 and i was amazed. Hell, still am, its a great OS. Windows 8 on the other hand, I dont have an interest in trying her out yet.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635

Posting this from the Metro version of IE 10 on Windows 8. :)  Yes there are lots of things that annoy me but that happens with every new OS I get ahold of. Some of the changes are interesting some are way annoying. Fortunately if you have a system where your motherboard has virtualization support it runs extremely well in VM with solid performance.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
zeke.brown replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 11:23 PM

does anybody know anything about a factory reset for a pandigital 7 inch tablet

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS