Microsoft Unveils New Windows Logo: Bold Moves, Metro-Inspired

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,388
Points 1,192,390
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Feb 18 2012 2:29 AM
Microsoft knows the times are changing, and change they will. With Metro taking over in Windows 8, it's about time we saw the refreshed logo for the next major step in the evolution of Windows. This is it. This is the redesigned Windows logo, and honestly, it looks almost nothing like the prior "flag." In fact, this one isn't designed to be a flag. It's meant to be a window -- get it, Windows? Here's the official line from the company:

"The Windows logo is a strong and widely recognized mark but when we stepped back and analyzed it, we realized an evolution of our logo would better reflect our Metro style design principles and we also felt there was an opportunity to reconnect with some of the powerful characteristics of previous incarnations.

We had a very short list of agencies that we wanted to work with on the redesign of the logo and were thrilled when Pentagram agreed to join us in the project. Pentagram’s illustrious history speaks for itself, but we were particularly attracted to their sense of classic graphic design which fit well with our Metro design principles."

At the end of the day, it's just a logo, but it's really saying a lot about the direction that Microsoft is headed. Tiles are in; is the Start menu headed out?
  • | Post Points: 155
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515
pwrntspd replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 2:38 AM

But i miss the bold red green blue and yellow already...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 2:55 AM

All blue? and straight? :(

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
DVis replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 3:39 AM

Perfect, if you're in the window and door business.

Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 495
zybch replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 4:15 AM

Is this story accurate? On thursday's Windows Weekly podcast doubt was cast over the veracity of any new logo. This story seems to be based around a couple of unattributed quotes, with no source ever being mentioned.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 4:21 AM

Well it's... A window. I have to give them that. The logo doesn't look good or bad, it just looks meh. I honestly like the 7 logo better and I wish they'd kept that. There was no need to change it and it was definitive of Windows as a whole, to change it to something generic; well it's understandable what they're going for but it's still a bad decision.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
ADGranger replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 4:36 AM

Boring

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 5:07 AM

The sticker version hasn't been decided yet, they're still gathering feedback on this sample.

However, the system display of the logo is meant to change color according to the settings you make to Windows 8.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,104
Points 11,180
CDeeter replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 9:45 AM

Wow someone actually got paid for that?! Very bland, and uninspiring. The Vista logo was the best one, too bad it had to go.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 1:40 PM

The thing M$ seems to be doing while this one may be bland at best is integrating which is and has been really one of there calling cards. It is much like a salesman used to be and is all based on volume. If you get your foot into every door in a neighborhood you will have a higher percentage of sales bot direct and residual from the area period.

M$ is doing this in a all consuming way. Windows 8 Metro is also there smart phone desktop layout. So just like office is everywhere because windows was everywhere there phone will gain residuals from there home desktop space and then there office product is all cloud based so it integrates as well into a mobile life and data usage pattern.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 495
zybch replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 10:47 PM

there /= their

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 11:44 PM

Of course, "metro inspired" is praising with faint damns. Metro is designed by colorblind kindergartners for colorblind illiterate preschoolers.

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 720
JvanHummel replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 12:20 PM

I dunno =/

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,689
Points 104,365
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 12:58 PM

zybch:

there /= their

Don't stop there, go through ~every post~ in every thread and correct their spelling too. Let us know when you're through.

Thanks for your help.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 495
zybch replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 5:01 PM

I only do this when there are so many of the same mistake. A mistake that anyone with a gradeschool level education should be smart enough not to make.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,689
Points 104,365
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 6:59 PM

And why is it on you to correct others? Your doing it takes away from the spirit of things here. We usually just try to get along and correct others on technical issues. We like to answer people's questions and help them to solve problems that they may have.

The guy you were correcting has a lot of technical knowledge and is always willing to share it by lending a hand to others. Cut him some slack,...please.

I appreciate your help in this. Thanks

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 8:29 PM

I dunno | well ok /=

# .sh it-can-change-colors_too !

after reading earlier this Sunday morning about a very young pre-skooler getting through the MS certification books anything is possible

waffles anyone ? Smile 

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,689
Points 104,365
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 8:41 PM

Waffles sound good,...think I'll get the Waffle maker down tomorrow morning.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

CDeeter:
The Vista logo was the best one, too bad it had to go.

Yeah, I agree. Microsoft introduced Aero with Vista, and it's like they were showcasing their awesome new graphics! Google did the same thing when they downgraded their Chrome icon shortcut - but I much prefer the old one.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,689
Points 104,365
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 9:17 PM

The first one of these makes you want to start pushing buttons. LOL!

BTW: That Vista Logo is still around. It's on the bottom left of my Win-7 screen.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS