Best Buy Survey Hints at 42-inch Apple TV Selling for $1,499

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,826
Points 1,168,085
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Feb 6 2012 2:59 PM
Best Buy has been sending out consumer surveys asking for people's opinions on potential products and services that could be released. It's a common practice for retailers to do this and normally no one would bat and eyelash at such a survey, but the fact that Best Buy is gauging customers, in detail, about an Apple brand HDTV has people wondering if the oft rumored panel might finally be nearing release.

The survey, which was tipped anonymously to The Verge with a screen capture, presents a potential ad for a 42-inch Apple HDTV at Best Buy for $1,499. "Apple finally reinvents what a TV can do," the ad starts off.

A recent Best Buy surveys gauges consumer opinion about a 42-inch Apple brand TV with iOS baked in.

The survey/ad details a 42-inch 1080p LED flat panel display incorporating Apple's iOS found in its Apple TV set-top box, which would allow viewers to purchase and stream movies and other content from the Internet. Viewers would also be able to download apps from Apple's App Store, and use their iPad or iPhone to purchase those apps, or as a full-fledged remote control.

One of the more interesting bullet points in the mock ad is the inclusion of a built-in iSight camera and microphone for Skype. Apple introduced iSight almost a decade ago and more recently began referring to iSight webcams as FaceTime cameras.

Would you be interested in a 42-inch Apple TV priced at $1,499?
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845

Sadly, most Apple fanboys *will* pay $1500 for a $500 TV, and then they'll buy the worthless $500 "extended warranty" on top of it. They could have gotten a superior combination with the standalone TV and a Roku XS, but that's not what Best Buy will push.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Mon, Feb 6 2012 4:23 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. XMBC, Windows media center or even boxee are cheaper alternatives but yeah like you said Best Buy wont push those.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

RTietjens hit the nail on the head with that comment. Doesn't Samsung already have this tv(but better)??? I think theirs basically has all of this except the camera.

Now you're just mashing it!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45
PAndr replied on Mon, Feb 6 2012 6:20 PM

people will buy it and embrace it. apple will win again and again because of the "complete user experience" that they have created from day one. I hate to admit it, but they know how to get the lemmings to give them money and pay a premium for it. for these people, there is huge value in it... buy apple stock people and then use the profits to buy/support open source projects.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Feb 6 2012 8:01 PM

Hmm interesting to see whether this will just be an LG TV with Apples touch and logo or something truly unique, I think it's going to end up being a "smart tv" with apples more polished iOS distribution found in its set top boxes which is a step up from other competitors integrated interfaces or operating systems if you could even call them that but with a couple perks like the integrated Facetime webcam and mic, all in all it should be a decent set but priced high as is done with all Apple products.

Piano Black finish on it, or Anodized Aluminum for the chasis, what do yall think?

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35
NBurt replied on Mon, Feb 6 2012 8:15 PM

I think its inevitable that after this TV comes out apple will again be the first company to create the technology.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Feb 6 2012 8:19 PM

Well, It's not an official, official confirmation but anything coming from Best Buy is close. I am interested to see what Apple can do with a TV (involving LG's panels of course). As I said before in other threads, I think the main strengths of the TV will be the color accuracy and the high quality of the panel itself rather then the interface. Don't get me wrong, the interface is sure to be essential but Apple's monitors strength has always been the color accuracy and the high quality; sure, Apple may have the interface but what will truly draw everybody over is Apple's attention to detail when it comes to modifying their panels to their own design, I mean just look at the Cinema Display.

Still, I'm waiting until something comes from Apple. Don't get me wrong, we are getting close but I've heard so much about the Apple TV coming soon that I'm just tired of it.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS