Seagate Says Hard Drive Shortage Will Continue Through 2012

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,804
Points 1,213,265
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Feb 1 2012 3:29 PM
Seagate this week reported financial results for the quarter ended December 30, 2011, in which the company said it shipped 47 million disk drives and collected $3.2 billion in revenue. For the six months ended on the same day, Seagate says it collected revenue of $6 billion and returned $151 million to shareholders in the form of a dividend. Not too shabby when you consider severe floods in Thailand left the hard drive industry in shambles. Unfortunately for Joe Consumer, relief is hardly in sight.

In a supplementary note (PDF) discussing its quarterly results, Seagate warned that the impact of the floods on the hard drive industry will be felt throughout the entire year.

"Seagate believes that while the industry's ability to supply drives is slowly improving, demand will continue to exceed supply during calendar year 2012," Seagate said.

According to Seagate, the entire HDD industry produced 105-110 million hard drives during the December 2011 quarter and shipped 119 million units, falling way short of unconstrained demand estimated at around 175 million.
  • | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Posts 85
Points 725

Seagate sucks anyway. For the other brands though, this sucks majorly.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,114
Points 11,290
CDeeter replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 5:34 PM

I hope they learn from this and either build factories in other countries too, or at least move to higher ground!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

While its a disaster for hhd industries, for ssd industries it's been a wonderful time....

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator

News:
Seagate warned that the impact of the floods on the hard drive industry will be felt throughout the entire year.

I call Bull Sh*t on that one. (greed, and not the flood will be the reason) They're liking that extra money that they're charging us and don't want to give it up. Same goes for all of the HDD makers. I'm glad that I bought a bunch of large capacity drives before their flood. I'm set for a long time.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 8:53 PM

JvanHummel:

Seagate sucks anyway. For the other brands though, this sucks majorly.

Can't say I agree with you - I have a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB and it's rockin'. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator

Erakith:
Can't say I agree with you - I have a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB and it's rockin'. 

I have over 16 Seagate drives. Some are old and some almost new. They all work fine. No problems with them at all.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 720

I'm glad I bought my Samsung spinpoints before all this happened. I'm really only in the market for an SSD or another Velociraptor at this point.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 2:05 AM

realneil:
I call Bull Sh*t on that one. (greed, and not the flood will be the reason) They're liking that extra money that they're charging us and don't want to give it up. Same goes for all of the HDD makers.

Well said; now I'm truly regretting my decision not to buy HDD's before the flood if they're going to be acting like this.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

I'm fortunate to not have a need for additional HDDs for the next few years. However, I am researching SSDs and the floods in Thailand, though tragic, have put the spotlight on SSD makers. Prices of SSDs have dropped quite a bit, though I would like to see them to fall to levels that would seriously pique the interest of the average consumer.

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

I don't think they like that. While SSD is getting space O_o i don't think that extra money will mean a thing when they are selling a lot less.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 8:25 AM

omegadoom13:
However, I am researching SSDs and the floods in Thailand, though tragic, have put the spotlight on SSD makers. Prices of SSDs have dropped quite a bit, though I would like to see them to fall to levels that would seriously pique the interest of the average consumer.

I wouldn't say it's effected the SSD market that much, it just means that the SSD's with SATA 3GBs are cheaper then before (same with the hard drives, older interfaces = outdated = cheaper.) I would like to see SATA 6GB/s dive down to affordable prices, that'd show to both markets that SATA 6GBs is not just a gimmick and is in fact, here to stay though without support from the motherboard makers, I don't see that happening in early 2012.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

Well, i have seen some good price drops on he ssd 6gbs/s at micro center.You can't expect 30 dollars price drop,that is not how it works.I can tell you because my friend bought an agility 3 60 gb (6gbp/s) for 80 dollars.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator

cowboyspace:
my friend bought an agility 3 60 gb (6gbp/s) for 80 dollars.

Before the floods happened, I was buying 1.5TB Seagate SATA-III 6.0GBp/s drives for $57.00 each. I bought 6 of them over the course of a month. They are SATA-III drives and they have a 64MB cache on them, so they are a really nice performing drive with lots of room on them. They just came down to $119.00 from $129.00. This is a rip-off. They blame a lack of supply for it, but it's greed as I see it.

SSD prices have come down a lot and that's a good thing. They are a lot faster than a platter drive is, but that doesn't mean that platter drives are not an important part of a good PC. We need storage to go along with all of our new found performance. The fact that prices are still more than double so long after their disaster is something that pisses me off to no end.

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 960

It's all about Western Digital Caviar Black baby ^_^

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator

JuicyFruitSweeT:

It's all about Western Digital Caviar Black baby ^_^

Ha-Ha!

those are good too. I have three 1TB blacks in a raid config inside of an old Dell box.

They're soon to be moved to the AMD Phenom box.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

I ran out of hd's and now my customers have to pay for full price. Some of them think I have raised my prices!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator

LVsquezDonado:
I ran out of hd's and now my customers have to pay for full price. Some of them think I have raised my prices!

Don't take the blame for someone else's greed.

You should talk to your customers before you work on their PC's,.......tell them about the situation and why HDD's are so much more now.

They will appreciate you're being honest with them in advance.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS