First Wave of Razer Blade Laptops Sell Out in Half Hour

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,847
Points 1,170,605
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jan 28 2012 11:04 AM
Talk about tough luck for folks living on the East Coast. Razer late last night sent us an email announcing its highly anticipated Razer Blade gaming laptop is in stock and going on sale at 9PM PST, or midnight for EST gamers. We clicked the link this morning and discovered whatever stock Razer made available had been devoured. The email read:
Salutation Razer Faithful:

We've got awesome news -- The Razer Blade is in stock and going on sale on January 27th at 9PM PST (tonight!). Follow the link below to lock down your system. Get your F5 key ready as there are a limited number of units available for this exclusive first wave, so move quick. We sincerely appreciate your support on this momentum launch and we look forward to getting our Masterwork system in your hands soon.

GLHF
The Razer Team

It's unclear how many units Razer had on hand to sell, but according to company co-founder Min-Lian Tan, his company's entire stock was depleted in just half an hour.

"OMFG. Less than 30 minutes and we sold out of EVERY.SINGLE.ONE. of our first batch of Razer Blades," Tan posted on his Facebook Wall. "Our next batch will be in about 2 weeks and we're making as many as we can. Hang in there. This is *CENSORED* amazing."

Yes, Tan dropped an F-bomb, but is he feigning surprise? The main criticism with the Razer Blade is its $2,800 price tag, and conspiracy theorists will no doubt accuse Razer of intentionally limiting initial orders to drum up excitement. There's also some serious hardware in the Razer Blade, including a 17-inch Full HD LED backlit display, Core i7 2640M processor, 8GB of DDR3-1333 memory, 256GB SATA 6Gbps solid state drive, Nvidia GeForce GT 555M graphics chip, and of course its highly touted 'Switchblade User Interface' with 10 dynamic adaptive tactile keys and a dual-mode LCD pad.
  • | Post Points: 155
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

It was expected.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

No wonder with all those pretty nice features who won't like to buy one :) the amazing performance given by this laptop is incredible. I would recommend it for a hardcore laptop gamer :)

Razer is a well-known company + I got my keyboard Lycosa and DeathAdder mouse from them, pretty satisfied with the components.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 447
Points 5,270
sackyhack replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 12:35 PM

Not crazy about the price-tag, but I hope this sort of thing catches on. Other than piracy, the other main complaint I always hear from game developers is how they have to factor in the infinite number of different hardware configurations for the platform. Not that I advocate limiting consumer choice, but if some sort of unified PC platform catches on and becomes popular, devs might have an easier time developing for it and we'd see less of the disastrous glitchy mess a lot of recent PC ports of console game seem to be.

People who like to tinker with their hardware have always been aware of the risks and they can continue to do so, and the people who just want something with more power than a console can play on something more streamlined for both the user and developer.

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 720

I'm not sure why everyone bashes this. I would love to have one if I had the money. That shouldn't take away from how cool the product is.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

He should be surprised. I am very surprised this sold so fast as well considering the price tag. Even with the unique and awesome interface I would not be wasting my money on this and would more likely buy a standard gaming laptop from the likes of Maingear or Origin.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

Who ever buys this is, is a big Sucka !! I Pity The Fool.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 720

If someone can afford this, that means they have the means to do so, and are probably set up very well financially. That or they just blew their entire tax refund check.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 990
Points 14,250
Manduh replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 12:20 PM

I'm not surprised at all. They did a great job of marketing before it was released. People with money to burn were anticipating the Razer Blade, regardless of price.

PCAudioLabs Rok Box MC 7xs - Intel Core i7-2600K - Cooling: PCAL Quiet Operation - Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard - 16GB DDR3-1333 - AMD Radeon HD 5450 - Power Supply: 600 Watts - SRT Drive: Intel 311 SSD (20GB) - Primary Drive: 500GB, 7200RPM, 16MB cache - Audio Drive: 1TB, 7200RPM, 32MB cache - Sample Drive: 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB cache - OS: Windows 7 Professional x64

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 4:31 PM

Wow... The price tag didn't reign the prowess of Razer...

Can't wait to see this product in action,

Maybe a HotHardware review?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 4:33 PM

Wow... the price tag didn't reign the prowess of Razer..

Totally not what I expected, even if it was most likely a small stock I guess the demand for quality is high enough to match the price tag

Can not wait to see one of these things in action and if its worth the hype and money,

HotHardware review of the Razer Blade in the futer?

I sure hope so

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

Not a surprise though. Razer is a solid company with great products. If had the money, I would get one too. I guess boasting to your friends and everyone in your social media network that you got a Razer Blade would give most people a nice high. :)

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS