Diablo III Likely Delayed Again, What the Devil?

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,149
Points 1,185,175
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jan 22 2012 11:26 AM
What a difference a couple of weeks make. About this time two weeks ago, U.K. games retailer GamePlay was listing Diablo III's release date as February 3, 2012, and there was at least one Best Buy brick and mortar location with a Diablo III advert announcing availability on February 1, 2012, plenty of time to get your hack and slash on before switching gears into Mr. (or Ms.) romantic for Valentine's Day. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like either of those release dates will pan out.

"While working on Diablo III we've been called out for messing around with systems too much, that the game is good as-is and we should just release it," game director Jay Wilson said on in a blog post on Battle.net. "I think that's a fair argument to make, but I also think it's incorrect. Our job isn't just to put out a game, it's to release the next Diablo game. No one will remember if the game is late, only if it's great. We trust in our ability to put out a great game, but we're not quite there yet. In addition to finishing and polishing the content of the game we're continuing to iterate on some of the core game systems."

Blizzard goes on to list, in detail, the many changes and enhancements it's currently applying to Diablo III. By Wilson's own admission, "there's a lot of work left to be down," including some significant changes to the core character attributes. He doesn't actually say Diablo III is delayed, but the chances of a February 1 or 3 release date are looking grim, especially when you consider it was never announced by Blizzard in the first place.

Do you think Diablo III will be worth the wait when it finally ships, or will this end up a disappointment like Duke Nukem Forever?
  • | Post Points: 170
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

Jay wilson pointed out whats more important for them and i agree." Our job isn't just to put out a game, it's to release the next Diablo game. No one will remember if the game is late, only if it's great." What you do with releasing a game that is not ready at all just to make happy some users.I prefer to wait for a delayed and better game .I think the delay will worth i'll wait for it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Sun, Jan 22 2012 11:58 AM

People who know anything about it are predicting March at the earliest. In my opinion, retailers knowingly lie to encourage as many pre-orders through them as possible. That's why I buy direct these days. I'd just as soon see GameStop and their ilk go bust.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Sun, Jan 22 2012 12:07 PM

I have plenty of other games to keep me busy in the meantime; just started Arkham City, still playing Skyrim, Amalur comes out in February. I also have school and work :P Take your time Blizzard and make it a great game.

"I have the power!!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645
omegadraco replied on Sun, Jan 22 2012 12:41 PM

Diablo III will not be a disappointment when it is released in my opinion Blizzard is known for releasing top notch games. In order for them to keep that reputation up they are forced to delay games release dates and it really is Blizzard's MO to delay games and not announce a release date until a couple of months before.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,101
Points 11,165
CDeeter replied on Sun, Jan 22 2012 12:56 PM

Agreed, better to wait and get it right, than release something half baked and in need of patching upon release.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 994
Points 14,330
Manduh replied on Mon, Jan 23 2012 11:05 AM

Yes, it's much better for them to get it right the first time, take their time and fix issues before it's released. Unlike the Batman: AC DirectX 11 fiasco :S

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 910

Blizzard make good games so if I were a Diablo fan I wouldn't be too worried, although delays suck.

However, as far as I know, there was never an "offical" release date announced by their PR people, so this shouldn't be too surprising.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Better to wait and get a more polished game then to just release crap every year (this it you EA)

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 184
Points 1,710
lipe123 replied on Mon, Jan 23 2012 1:54 PM

The frustrating part is I've played the beta campaign through about 5 million times now and I REALLY don't see any issues. The game is as much fun as D2 ever was and I can't wait for release.

I seriously think they can do the rest of the changes with patches! The game works, it plays well, its fun, COMOOOON.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

@ lipe123 do you want to see in this game what happened to bulldozer? first impression is what counts.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 4:41 PM

They actually are working for another fix as well for corrupt saves.  I got hit a few days ago so I know this pain personally :(

"I have the power!!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

"No one will remember if the game is late, only if it's great." Well said by Jay Wilson. I think Diablo III will be worth the wait. I'd much prefer a game that was released with as few bugs as possible rather than a game needing multiple patching. In any case, I'm pretty sure gamers have plenty of other games to keep them busy until it's officially released. I know I do :)

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS