Philips And BASF Combine On Transparent OLED Roof, Amazing Us All

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,366
Points 1,191,815
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jan 21 2012 12:57 AM
Every so often, a technology comes across that's just too good to ignore, even if it doesn't directly impact handheld gizmos at the moment. BASF and Philips have combined to create one of those; it's an OLED lighting solution for use as a transparent car roof. They're calling this a breakthrough in the industry, and we believe it. The OLEDs are transparent when switched off, allowing for a clear view outside the vehicle, yet providing light only within the vehicle when switched on. This OLED lighting concept for car roofs is the result of a longstanding cooperation between BASF and Philips in the research and development of OLED modules.

In addition to offering completely new design possibilities, the transparent OLED lighting concept also allows new approaches to automotive engineering. The transparent OLED sandwich structure can be combined with equally transparent solar cells .

"This combination allows the driver to enjoy a unique open-space feeling while it generates electricity during the day and pleasantly suffuses the interior with the warm light of the transparent, highly efficient OLEDs at night," said Dr. Felix Görth, head of Organic Light-Emitting Diodes and Organic Photovoltaics at BASF Future Business GmbH.

Dr. Dietrich Bertram, General Manager of OLED Lighting at Philips, added:"This project provides impressive evidence of new possibilities with OLEDs, and illustrates the potential of Philips' Lumiblade OLED technology to help create innovative lighting applications that enhance people's lives."

BASF and Philips have cooperated closely since 2006 within the OLED 2015 initiative of Germany's Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).BASF develops organo-chemical materials such as dyes that are used in the development and manufacturing of OLEDs by Philips. Working together, the two partners put the innovative transparent OLED lighting technology into practice on a car roof.

Will we still be driving ourselves around in five years? Will autopilot and OLED roofs take over? Hopefully the future will arrive sooner rather than later.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

Man starting from today I won't be surprise with new techs things are hard but not imposible , that is just amazing i want to see it on a car yayyyy

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,103
Points 11,175
CDeeter replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 9:43 AM

That is so cool! Would love to have this on my car!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
RLippold replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 11:59 AM

This is pretty awesome to see! And BMW in Leipzig, building the electric car from 2013 is next on the list? #SiliconSaxony

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 8:50 PM

What's amazing is that anyone thinks this huge, expensive strip of OLEDs and glass is a good idea.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 10:40 PM

what i think should happen is that apple should put this on 6th gen iphones and so we can have a solar charging capability with an awesome see through glass.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 110

This is old.... Like 15 YEARS old that I know of!!!!!! The OLED part and the lighting part is new... But I know you could have had glass windows installed in your home 15+ years ago that acts like the LCD on your digital calculator.... Perfectly clear when powered off, flip a switch tuning current, and the window becomes black blocking out light and adding privacy.... This was most popular with bathrooms since it replaced the need for blinds making things easier to clean. I think they even had a shower door with this tech. I also saw this working on this for cars, all the windows and windshields were made this way, when you got out of your car and locked car/turned on alarm all the glass would turn black preventing anyone from looking inside. It cost a lot and to remain black there must be a constant power draw.... Again this was 15 years ago.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
ChrisM86 replied on Mon, Jun 18 2012 5:55 PM

This is a neat idea but it seems like the general concept has been around for a while. I wonder when it will become sturdy and cost efficient enough for mass production. That being said, the more open space the better!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS