Google Gently Nudges Devs Toward More Unified Android Designs

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,391
Points 1,192,480
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jan 14 2012 1:44 PM
Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) is a big step for the platform, and Google is clearly interested in maintaining some level of uniformity across the ICS-based products created by developers. In a blog post, the Android User Experience Team announced a new site called Android Design, which is chock full of practical advice and guides for anyone developing for ICS.

The idea is to make apps simple and beautiful. The post, written by head of the Android visual design group Christian Robertson states:
To help you in that mission, we’re introducing Android Design: the place to learn about principles, building blocks, and patterns for creating world-class Android user interfaces. Whether you’re a UI professional or a developer playing that role, these docs show you how to make good design decisions, big and small.

Homepage of Android Design

Robertson promises even more in-depth content for Android Design soon, but there’s already plenty there. We suppose that experienced developers may find the guides oversimplified, but it’s nevertheless a clean, beautiful site with lots of great details--not unlike the apps that the Android team is hoping the site will help generate.
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35

I wish they would start unifying the physical design. Always keep the charging point in the same place so that companies can start releasing Android docking stations, stereos, etc. I'm a huge android fan, but I can't believe this hasnt happened yet. There's not a single decent speaker dock for the Galaxy Tab or ANY Verizon android device.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 6:28 PM

I don't think the physical design needs to be unified but it wouldn't matter since Android with it's different device styles are selling better then Windows Phone, which has a unified design. I'm guessing people care more about how much bang for the buck they can get out of the device rather then something that resembles the iPhone. Don't get me wrong, Windows Phone is good; it's just that Microsoft has not had much luck getting their Windows Phone out there and I think that the lack of impact of the brand on the phones and the fact that there's a wildly limited ecosystem for Windows Phone just limits it's impact significantly and it'll continue unless Microsoft manages to come up with something truly unique.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 100
tjlis2004 replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 10:29 AM

I'd like to see a unified design as well. That's the one thing that I wish I could get for my Android device is a good dock that I know would work with anything else. iPhone hit this on the mark.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

to resolve this why dont they just release a unified design  and see what people like  the most.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS