Boom, Snapshot! Sony Reveals New XQD Memory Cards for Advanced Shooters

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,492
Points 1,196,580
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jan 6 2012 1:15 PM
Is your DSLR camera suddenly strutting around with a goofy grin on its LCD face? If so, it must have heard about Sony's new high-speed XQD memory cards that support the recently adopted XQD specification for high-speed, high performance digital image capture. Of course, in order to take advantage of the new cards, your DSLR has to support the format. If it does, XQD cards will allow photographers to capture up to about 100 frames in RAW format in continuous shooting mode, Sony says.

"Advanced shooters want to capture the moment in the highest quality possible, and that often means dealing with massive files like RAW images," said Viviano Cantu, Director of Consumer Media for Sony Electronics. "Memory card technology has done a great job of keeping pace, but these new cards give an entirely new meaning to speed and performance."

Sony's XQD memory card supports rapid data transfer rates of up to 1Gbps (125MB/s) for both read and writes through the PCI-E interface. There will be two versions of the card available, along with an XQD-compatible card reader and an ExpressCard adapter:
  • QD-H16 card, 16GB: $130
  • QD-H32 card, 32GB: $230
  • Card Reader, MRW-E80: $45
  • ExpressCard Adapter, QDA-EX1: $45

All of these will begin shipping next month.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator

Great technology at a highwayman's price. Must be Sony.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Believe it or not, it isnt. If it was, why would Nikon be using it. In fact, the D4 is the only camera I know to support this format at all.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jan 7 2012 12:41 AM

MayhemMatthew:
Believe it or not, it isnt. If it was, why would Nikon be using it. In fact, the D4 is the only camera I know to support this format at all.

if it's fast, they all will soon.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Points 1,390

for that kind of money I will stick with my class10 memory cards. I do not need to 100 frames in RAW. But for someone making a living shooting action shots I can see how this would be Great. For me I will stay with my Canon T3i

Asus M4A79T deluxe,AMD Athlon II X4 620,PNY GTX285 1gb,Patriot Viper DDR3 1333 8gb,Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro,Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Comb,Plextor DVD-CD burner,Patriot PS-100 SSD 32gb ,WD 500gb 32mg,Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower,Antec True Power Quattro 1000watts,Toshiba 40in 1080p for a monitor

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS