Samsung Galaxy S III Expected To Debut At MWC 2012

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,722
Points 1,208,955
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Dec 29 2011 11:21 AM

Samsung's Galaxy S II line of smartphones has enjoyed tremendous success worldwide, selling 3 million units in just 55 days. As we found during our review of Sprint's variant of the phone, the Galaxy S II is definitely a great handset—dare we say one of the better ones to ship this year. As is typical in the world of electronics, however, this handset won't stay at the top for long.

In fact, we're already experiencing gadget envy now that we're seeing more details about the upcoming successor to the Galaxy S II, appropriately called the Galaxy S III. This new smartphone is rumored to feature a 2.0GHz quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, 10 megapixel camera with full 1080p video capabilities, and 32GB of internal storage. Those are certainly some attractive specs to say the least. The new variant of the Galaxy family is also expected to feature Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).

Word on the web suggests that the Samsung Galaxy S III will make its debut at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2012 which will take place in Barcelona, Spain from February 27 through March 1. Needless to say, we've marked our calendars and will be anxiously awaiting official word from Samsung.

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 85
Points 725

What for could you possibly need 4 cores @ 2GHz and 2GB of RAM in a phone Hmm? And if this is true, it better feature a decent battery, cause I can imagine that beats being power hungry.

I'd still like one though.Angel

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Now that is a phone!!! I have to agree with @JvanHummel though, why do you need a phone that powerful??? More is better but there is only so much you can do with a small screen. Save those specs for the next galaxy tab :)

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Thu, Dec 29 2011 8:37 PM

Those types of specs are like "top speeds" on a car. It doesn't mean you ever get to use all cores at max clockage. Chips these days can have the cores independently go to sleep and downclock. Also this will be using the 32nm process as oppose to the 40nm which means lower power consumption. It's most likely also using an improved and less power hungry architecture just like they did when they went from the SGS1 to SGS2.

So lets say you're using the calculator app. The phone will most likely have 3 cores asleep and the 4th one is dowclocked to eg. 300Mhz.

Who needs 4 cores @ 2Ghz? Unfortunately no one. Software just isn't keeping up these days on the ARM side. On the desktop side you have games such as Battlefield 3 that absolutely rapes hardware, especially when you bring in higher resolutions and 3D. It's nice to see hardware going forwards though as it solves the chicken vs egg problem (or software vs hardware).

At least now software developers have no excuse to do creative compute intensive programs. I can't wait to see more modular devices and software. A mix of ASUS Transformer, ASUS Padphone, Motorola Atrix, KT Spider for Android line-up etc.

I see a completely modular phone that can be changed to a tablet that can be attached to a dock. After all with this power why would you have to buy another chip for a tablet and a laptop? It's better to re-use as much as possible. Buy one phone that has all the internals and then make it modular so you can change it to other things. Anyway, software needs to improve to mark Android productive. At the moment it's a child's toy compared to Windows.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Thu, Dec 29 2011 9:14 PM

I dont know i think it is nice to see a phone trying to push to stronger specs. Better specs allow better software to be ran. Even though programs dont need those specs right now, new and more demanding programs can be made.

Remember harddrives when 30gb drives were considered good now 1tb hdd are standard on most new computers.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Fri, Dec 30 2011 3:03 PM

Loving my galaxy s2, only thing is it needs to control battery better. Playing a game for like 5 mins loses me 10% battery. But s3 looks great so far :)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS