New build, first time using an SSD...need some help.

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 950
Jedius Posted: Sat, Dec 24 2011 11:48 AM

Hey Tech Support,

What drive do you need to install the OS on, the SSD only, the HDD only, or both?

What other programs/types of programs frequently get put on the SSD? Any idea where I could find a good guide about what kind of stuff people usually put on the SSD? Like would I put my browsers (Chrome and Firefox) on it? What about photoshop?

Also, where do you put your downloaded drivers? Do they automatically go where they need to go when you open/execute them? Are there any good SSD tutorials that would answer these types of questions?

How does the SSD automatically decide which programs get put on it and which get put on the HDD? Do you need to set it up somehow, or is it already configured? Do you need to somehow move all your My Music, My Documents, My Pictures, My Downloads and such?

Any other advice for me?

Thanks,
-Jed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

Only install the OS on the SSD, also you can install all the drivers and OS updated to the SSD. As for your music, documents, and pictures you would want to change the default extension to your HD. This will save space on your SSD. Depending on the size of your SSD you could install games on it. I have done that in the past and I have a few currently installed on my SSD. But most of my games reside on one of my HD's. When you install games/programs you want on your HD you will need to do a custom install (programs give you the option of "Express", or "Custom" for the installation) And you will need to tell the installer that you want the game installed on say the D drive for example. The core of the game will be installed on the "D" drive but a few components, Think a map to find the game, that allow the game to operate will be installed on the OS drive. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 950
Jedius replied on Sun, Dec 25 2011 11:20 PM

I have a OCZ Vertex 3 128GB SSD if that helps with anything.

You install the games mostly on your HDD? I thought that was a big selling point of a SSD...games would load a lot faster through different things if they were installed on a SSD over the HDD?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

While games will load faster you don't want to fill up your SSD with games, also games with frequent saves put extra write cycles on the SSD slowing it down over time. I would say put the 2-3 (depending on the size) most played games on the SSD the rest put on the HD.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 950
Jedius replied on Mon, Dec 26 2011 11:05 AM

Oh ya, I only plan to be playing 2-3 at a time mostly...or putting in significant time with anyway...one of them isn't even out yet.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS