Ultra-D "Glasses-Free 3D" Technology To Hit CES 2012

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,722
Points 1,208,940
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Dec 22 2011 9:39 PM
Glasses-free 3D -- it's the wave of the future, man. Actually, the jury is still out on 3D as a whole, but that won't stop a flood of companies from trying to hop on the bandwagon at CES next year. Stream TV Networks is preparing to launch a new 3D-without-glasses product line at the convention, using a proprietary Ultra-D technology. Stream TV Networks is the producer of the eLocity brand of mobile tablets launched first in 2010, the Ultra-D technology is strictly proprietary and leverages custom hardware, middleware techniques and software algorithms to create unprecedentedautostereoscopic 3D imagery. This technology will provide consumers with access tounlimited 3D content by enabling real-time conversion of: 2D content into 3D autostereoscopic (without glasses) and 3D stereoscopic content (with glasses) to 3D autostereoscopic (without glasses).

The Ultra-D technology thus supports the immediate adoption of 3D consumer hardware despite limited availability of 3D content. Real-time conversion of 2D to 3D and 3D with glasses to 3D without glasses works seamlessly with various content formats including Blu-ray, DVD, PC gaming, Internet, cable and satellite content.

Another key differentiator of the Ultra-D technology enables customization of the 3D effect to address individual differences in spatial perception and the varying impact of 3D rendering on viewer comfort. The technology allows users to increase or decrease the real-time 3D rendering effect, adjusting for variance in content quality and source as well as personal preference so that consumers can use all Ultra-D products to achieve the optimal 3D picture every time.

"We are extremely proud of what we have been able to accomplish with our Ultra-D technology. It is capable of creating a significant shift in the way people view media, comparable to the transition from black and white to color TV," said Mathu Rajan, CEO of Stream TV Networks, Inc. "Our ultimate goal was to create a solution that addresses existing concerns impeding the adoption of 3D—consumer aversion to expensive glasses, viewer discomfort, variance in individual vision and preference and the slow creation of 3D content. It seemed we were aiming for the impossible but we've made it possible and will be sharing these hard-won achievements with consumers in 2012. Ultra-D is the next generation 3D technology designed to replace 3D with glasses and win preference over 2D devices."

If we aren't mistaken, CES 2011 offered a ton of 3D products, too. So, how many years do they have left?
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Dec 23 2011 5:13 AM

I've heard about this stuff for a while, we even had a couple of companies release prototype products of this stuff. Hell, there was even a Best Buy commercial that promoted this stuff (of course, it was related to it's faulty upgrade program but still...) and now it's being introduced in CES 2012.

Granted, I have nothing against the glasses (in fact, they may not be rendered obsolete entirely) but I want to see how it works out before jumping on board; in person. That way I can get an informed decision whether or not to go the glasses-free or the glasses TV. Still, the idea of glasses-free 3D on the big screen sounds really interesting.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Im in the "its a gimmick" camp. Especially while it requires glasses. If this stuff works out, it may be enough to sway me.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 999
Points 14,415
Manduh replied on Fri, Dec 23 2011 8:56 PM

I'm still trying to find out if there has been any studies on long term use... can this be bad for your eyes in the long run? or worse... are there possible neurological effects?

I've tried searching but of course haven't came up with much. I'm just wondering if this is something that would be safe, I wouldn't want to let my 6yr old stare at 3D screens for too long until I knew more about it.

I just know when I watch 3D in the theatre my vision is off for a short period of time afterwards.

Either way, for those who have been anticipating this, it's great news!

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 250
ATigre replied on Fri, Dec 23 2011 9:02 PM

Once its "glasses free 3D", dissuading people won't be necessary. How can you avoid 3D content for the rest of your life? I've always loved 3D even before it was available. Maybe deep down I knew that this is the way to go. Playing games in 3D is the way to play 3D games. Otherwise why bother creating it?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS