Weaksauce: Hard Drive Makers to Significantly Reduce Warranty Periods

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,096
Points 1,183,410
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Dec 17 2011 10:11 AM
Word around the Web is that some hard drive makers are cutting down their warranty terms, the timing of which couldn't be any worse (we'll get to that in a minute). Western Digital is dropping the distribution warranty period for Caviar Blue, Caviar Green, and Scorpio Blue drives from 3 years to 2 years (Caviar Black and Scorpio Black will still carry 5-year warranties).

News of Western Digital's reduced warranty terms was first reported by The Register, which got its hands on the following letter:
This new warranty policy will be effective for drives shipped from January 2nd, 2012. It is important that you take a moment to update your website(s) and collateral to reflect this change for effected drives shipped after January 1st, 2012.

All drives shipped to distributors prior to Jan. 2nd 2012 will retain the current warranty terms. Because of existing inventory in the distribution channel there will be a short period of time when some drives with a 3-year warranty will be sold at the same time as drives with a 2-year warranty.

If you have any doubt about the warranty of a drive you purchased, you can go to support.wdc.com, select Warranty and RMA Services and proceed to the Warranty Check page.
Reducing hard drive warranties from 3 years to 2 years isn't the end of the world (still a 33 percent reduction), but it still stinks, and even worse Western Digital started a trend. Seagate is also reducing warranty periods, and not just by one year. In a letter sent to its authorized distributors and obtained by The Register, Seagate announces the following:
Effective December 31, 2011, Seagate will be changing its warranty policy from a 5 year to a 3 year warranty period for Nearline drives, 5 years to 1 year for certain Desktop and Notebook Bare Drives, 5 years to 3 years on Barracuda XT and Momentus XT, and from as much as 5 years to 2 years on Consumer Electronics.
The warranty reductions come at a time when hard drive makers look to recover from recent flooding in Thailand. Hard drive prices are up, supply is low, and who knows how reliable new drives will be when they're being produced on restored equipment that sat waterlogged for a period of time.
  • | Post Points: 215
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 436
Points 3,395
LLeCompte replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 11:39 AM

This is kinda sad; i know there is a storage, but once the OEMs get back on their feet, they wont raise the warranty back up. We all know Hard drives can and will fail, sometimes within the warranty. Its not the end of the world, but it doesnt look very cool for the OEMs to do this.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 11:39 AM

I haven't had a hard drive fail for a long time and the last time it did I started keeping backups of my backups. All my important files are protected but I still appreciate the feeling that a company will stand behind their products and replace a faulty one if need be.

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 385
Jajuka replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 1:40 PM

We can only hope that Hitachi and/or Samsung don't follow this crappy trend. Those are the only drives I typically buy anymore anyways.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

I guess dont buy a drive after the first of the year... 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 455

Not cool, But hard drive do tend not to fail and if they do it's usually soon after you bought it.

Western Digital isn't a brand that id consider buying product from anyway.

I love samsung,

and sony's good to i have some product's of there's and they just keep on running had there ps3 6 ry's and it going great. Usb for 4 years and it should have broke a dozen times. And many other product's. NVR had a Problem with samsung there basically perfect.

Seagate On the other hand I do own a few hard drive's from and woulda considered getting more from them but after this #%@$@#$%.

I think im going stick with Samsung for my hard drive's.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 910

Once again the consumer gets the short end of the stick. From 5 years to 1 year, on select drives! Way to help sales after the supply rebounds.

I do have a couple of Seagates, one for about 5 years, and it's still running no problem (knock wood).

Lately I've been leaning toward Samsung, but I heard they were going to sell/have sold their HDD business to Seagate, so I'm not sure if their quality will drop (probably will).

I do see an opportunity for the SSD people to snag some customers, if they can build a track record of reliability for their controllers.

Not Ranked
Posts 70
Points 560
DDeveaux replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 3:37 PM

I've had quite a few Seagate drives fail over the years, so I guess I will just avoid buying them until they improve their warranty again.  I also was contemplating getting a larger-capacity drive since I'm running out of space, so this just may have expedited that decision a bit.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 165
sweenjm replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 6:25 PM

Kinda saw this coming, but it still rubs me the wrong way. The quality of WD and Seagates drives has been slipping for several years now. This is most evident in the mainstream drives (blue series for WD, Barracuda for Seagate). while i dont use them for my personal stuff, alot of my customers have and do use them. To a big company, who no doubt realizes the quality decline, this is a cost saving no-brainer. (if your gonna make drives the dont last as long, dont warranty them for as long as before). The best way out of this mess is to stick to enterprise-class drives (Seagate Constellation, WD-RE, Hitachi Ultrastar, and Samsung......well, dont get a samsung) or go to SAS or SSD drives, which dont have nearly the price premium that they usually do since drives went up. I personally use 15k SAS hitachi ultrastars, and they do very well.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,890
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 8:09 PM

I have purchased 7 Seagate Barracudas in the past year. All of them have a 5 year warranty, so I'm good with them as of now.

I've also bought four WD-1TB Blacks in the last year. So I hopefully won't need any drives for a long while.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 11:43 PM

I really think this is a sleazy move, they know that hard drives with recovered parts are going to fail sooner, and they are even charging us more for them!

this is just bad business.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,474
Points 47,055
ForumsAdministrator

Higher prices, lower reliability, and a shorter warranty. It's like a race to the bottom!Big Smile

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 70
Points 560
DDeveaux replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 4:49 AM

Agreed. It doesn't even make sense as to why they're cutting down the warranty. I wouldn't blame the Taiwan floods, since the supply issue is bound to ease up somewhat.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Jajuka:

We can only hope that Hitachi and/or Samsung don't follow this crappy trend. Those are the only drives I typically buy anymore anyways.

Hitachi's hard drive division is owned by WD... they will follow suit.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I really don't understand this one at all... they basically are admitting to building lower quality drives. SSD's certainly will pick up some sales when it comes to boot drives. But mechanical drives are still the way to go for mass storage :(

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 3:58 PM

If if one business does it, it will just leak on down to the rest. Not like they have much to lose if all of them do the same.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35
bbo320 replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 6:39 PM

I think sales are down because they raised the prices. Now they are lowering the warranty period so people will hurry up and buy HDDs by Jan. 1st while the warranty is still long (while the price is still high).

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Espada04 replied on Mon, Dec 19 2011 1:47 AM

Seagate owns Samsung's Hard Drive division :)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Mon, Dec 19 2011 8:30 PM

im sure the prices will discourage that as well

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Dec 20 2011 12:07 AM

It's understandable why they're doing it. I mean the Black series are enthusiast drives not meant for mass public appeal; the blue drives however are shipped to stores on the mass and it's understandable if they don't have the materials necessary to fix it if it passes that new 2 year mark. (The Blue prices are still under $200 BTW)

I really hope the hard drive industry gets back on it's feet, but for now we'll just have to lived with the reduced warranty terms.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS