Caution

This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil Posted: Thu, Dec 15 2011 11:01 PM
Caution about drinking and driving this Christmas,...

I would like to share an experience with you all, about drinking and driving. As you well know, some of us have been known to have had brushes with the authorities on our way home from the odd social session over the years.

A couple of nights ago, I was out for a few drinks with some friends, and had a few too many beers and some rather nice Merlot. Knowing full well I may have been slightly over the limit, I did something I've never done before.... I took a bus home.

I arrived home safely and without incident,..........................

which was a real surprise, as I have never driven a bus before, and I'm not sure where I got this one.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Good idea :) me and my wife alternate who might drink... Usually I let her because I am not much of a drinker. One of us is always completely sober to drive. I have seen too many friends lose people to drunk driving... The sad thing is most of the time the people who die are not the people who are intoxicated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 8:32 PM

omegadraco:
The sad thing is most of the time the people who die are not the people who are intoxicated.

This is one of my pet peeves. Lost friends and family this way too many times. All for no good reason.

It's a serious problem that I always try to rectify when I see it happen. So if somebody is drunk and I see them driving, and it shows, I'll turn their azzes in right now. I have no pity for them.

My Son In Law patrols in my County and he holds the local record for drunk Driving arrests.

I am so proud of him.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

realneil:

omegadraco:
The sad thing is most of the time the people who die are not the people who are intoxicated.

My Son In Law patrols in my County and he holds the local record for drunk Driving arrests.

I am so proud of him.

Good for him... In my city the policy is that it is an automatic arrest and everything is recorded. One of my close friends who is an officer said she does not care who the heck she pulls over... If they are drunk they get arrested, it does not matter if it is the mayor or the chief of police.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 8:55 PM

omegadraco:
If they are drunk they get arrested, it does not matter if it is the mayor or the chief of police.

This is as it should be. I don't even know your friend, but I'm proud of ~her~ too. Tell her that I said so when you see her again.

And Dave, I liked your Bus. I had one for a summer when I was a young man. Mine was white. Many a YL lost her virtue in it.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

My dad use to give people he knew one time, where he would just take them home. 

But its a stupid thing to do, never done it never will. Too much is at stake for people with my career its a real career ender. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 70
Points 560
DDeveaux replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 9:02 PM

I have zero respect for those who drink & drive.  Nearly lost my father to a drunk driver many years ago.  He did survive, but he is certainly not the same person.  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 10:02 PM

Drinking and driving is just plain stupid. I ride a motorcycle, and I fear that someday I might get squished by a drunk or someone talking on their cell phone! Mythbusters (the cannonball guys) did a great video comparing drunk-driving and driving while talking on a cell phone. It's a three-part video, and it's a real eye-opener!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

While I agree many people cant multitask and drive, Ie talk. I think it depends on the person. As a pilot/CFI I fly, talk, and instruct almost every day. Is it hard to triple task yes, but I also know my limits. Do I talk in rush hr traffic in LA, where I grew up, not if i can help it. Why? because I know there are to many things going that need my attention. many drivers today have become complacent in their driving style beveling it wont happen to me attitude. I think drivers should be tough under the most extreme circumstance, and many European countries do. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 11:26 AM

realneil:

which was a real surprise, as I have never driven a bus before, and I'm not sure where I got this one.

I know this is a serious issue and I fully agree with taking a taxi or a bus when intoxicated, but OMG this made me laugh my @$$ off LOL

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS